PDA

View Full Version : What type of discus are these?

mrelxr
Sat Feb 07, 2009, 11:31 PM
Can anybody tell me what type of discus these two are?

Goerge_of_the_Jungle
Sat Feb 07, 2009, 11:57 PM
I'm only new to keeping Discus, but i thikn the first one may be a 'Blue Discus" and the second one ... hmm .... possibly a "Red Turquoise Discus". But i will need some one to confrm.

mrelxr
Sun Feb 08, 2009, 12:30 AM
the blue one im thinking is an alenquer whilst the red i think is a leopard snake skin?

Goerge_of_the_Jungle
Sun Feb 08, 2009, 12:33 AM
Leopard snake skins generally have smaller markings.

Have a look at this link, it defines some strains of Discus, may help.

http://www.aquariumhobbyist.com/discus/strains/index.html

mrelxr
Sun Feb 08, 2009, 01:01 AM
good site, mine looks almost like the red leopard skin on the site, but as for the other one, still not sure but tending towards alenquer?

Goerge_of_the_Jungle
Sun Feb 08, 2009, 01:26 AM
alenquer, generally speaking, have stripes down their side.

check out this thread

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7409

mrelxr
Sun Feb 08, 2009, 01:50 AM
mine does have stripes

Matt15
Sun Feb 08, 2009, 03:12 AM
The first picture is certainly a Cobalt.

The second looks like a type of Pigeon blood but given the photo its hard to confirm.

Jim Curtis
Sun Feb 08, 2009, 03:17 AM
The first picture is some sort of snakeskin, the second is a classic pigeon blood.

mrelxr
Tue Feb 10, 2009, 06:50 AM
anybody else have an opinion on what they are?

zar
Tue Feb 10, 2009, 07:21 AM
The first one can be called a blue snakeskin,
or just snakeskin if you like. Not a cobalt. Cobalts look more like blue diamonds with visible stressbars.
Your's has more than 8 or 9 stress bars which straight away means that it's some sort of snakeskin. Snakeskins have usually 12 or 13 if i remember correctly. The fine pattern on the face also indicates that it's a snakeskin.

The bottom one is obviously a pigeonblood strain, the face again says there's snakeskin blood in it. I bought a similar fish years back as pigeon snakeskin.

But, i'm sure you'll find thousand names for those discus, especially that pigeonblood one is a potential candidate for being called something very ridiculous and more poetic/metaphoric which lots of people like to do.
I'd call it crouching pigeon hidden snakeskin personally :)

I still hope some of the senior members reply to this thread as there's a few of us who've answered all with different opinions.

zar

mrelxr
Tue Feb 10, 2009, 08:18 AM
Thanks for your opinion zar, i too think the second is a pigeon blood but the first i really dont know. Its face is a snake skin but its body i dont know. It has a orange/brown body with blue fins which dont really show in the pic. If more experienced discus owners have an opinion id like to hear it.

mistakes r crucial
Sat Feb 14, 2009, 03:33 AM
Snakeskin and PB but that SS doesn't look real happy in that pic.
Cheers
MAC

Dave+Amy
Fri Mar 06, 2009, 07:32 AM
I think the first is an Alenquer (looks exactly like mine) not a snakeskin 'cos you can see the pattern isn't all over its body and the second one is a Pigeon Blood, was tempted to get a Pigeon Blood but went for the Pigeon Checkerboard instead.

Hollowman
Fri Mar 06, 2009, 05:27 PM
I think the first is an Alenquer (looks exactly like mine) not a snakeskin 'cos you can see the pattern isn't all over its body .

Dave+Amy,
It is a SS, it does not have to have pattern all over it's body to be one. You can tell a SS by the number of vertical bars it has. An alenquer will have only nine bars, SS's normally have about 14. This fish also has a fine line patter over it's face, which is also a SS trait.
hth

H :wink:

Dave+Amy
Tue Mar 10, 2009, 06:29 AM
oops didn't even look at the bars....My snakeskin looks sort of different like has fine line as usual but also has tiny spots on its flanks? Bought as a snakeskin