PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Filter

TW
Tue Feb 03, 2009, 07:24 AM
My eheim pro II 2028 is leaking. I have it sitting in a 40L container to catch the slops. At first, it took nearly a week to fill the container. Now it is taking less than a day.

It's under warranty still, but I really don't want the tank to be without it. What sort of things can I check myself to try & fix it.

dthomo
Tue Feb 03, 2009, 09:00 AM
Maybe basic or common pratice for most on here but I found my filters use to leak on the O ring so I started using a thin layer of vasoline on the O ring everytime I opened the filter for cleaning.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

Regards,
Dave

Matt15
Tue Feb 03, 2009, 12:37 PM
Robyn thats bad luck. I've had a leaky filter before and it wasn't the actual canister but the hose connection piece.
What Dave said is spot on, more often than not its an O ring. These are easily replaceable from your LFS who stock/supply that brand.

I have no choice but to take the filter out of action to investigate what the problem is.

ILLUSN
Wed Feb 04, 2009, 03:30 AM
robyn my old 2028's leak after a clean sometimes, the fix is to smear the oring in silicome lube from clarke rubber or a pool shop, always stops the leak, once it starts though you'll have to relube EVERYTIME you take the filter apart (no biggie you'll still get 12mths out of it) or you can replace the o ring, they are good for 2-3 (1-2 MAX with out lube) years depending on how acid your tank is (at 5.0 they last me 2yrs).

the other leak I've had on all of my 4 2028's if the top connector goes brittle and develops small hairlike cracks that you cant see with out a magnifying glass, again replacing the top connector fixes this (no biggie $45 every 3 years).

you need a filter in a pinch pm me.

TW
Sun Feb 08, 2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks all

As the filter is newish, maybe I should ask for the oring to be replaced under guarantee. Are the orings within the filter hose connector thing? I'm going to put some lube there, but not sure if that is where you mean?

Thanks again.

TW
Sun Feb 08, 2009, 03:02 PM
Drat, didn't work. I put the lube on the o-rings, where I think you meant, put it all back together & it still leaks.

Illusn, I think I may need to take you up on your offer of a loan filter, as I think I will have to take it in for warranty repairs. I hope that will be alright with you?

After I talk to Xtreme, I will pm you to see if we can work out something. I'd really appreciate it, as I don't think my 7ft would do too well without this filter gone & no replacement.

Thanks again.

TW
Sun Feb 08, 2009, 03:29 PM
Disaster - this tank has 2 x 2028's. The 2nd one had a very poor flow rate - not much more than a trickle of water returning to the tank from the cannister. I thought it must be time for a clean. When I took the impeller out to clean it, I saw the little white shaft was snapped in two. Now it's put back together, I don't think it is running at all.

Can you buy something suitable to use as a replacement shaft from a hardware store or somewhere else. I thought it might take too long to get one in from eheim?

TW
Sun Feb 08, 2009, 03:44 PM
The 1st filter is leaking faster than ever since I applied the lube (though I know it would not be the lube that caused the faster leak - more likely that the leak was further disturbed by the maintenance).

Same as the 2nd filter, where the broken shaft was at least still pushing some water through - now no water going through it at all. I guess my good bacteria will die?

What to do ? ? ? ?

TW
Tue Feb 10, 2009, 10:12 AM
ILLUSN

Just wanted to thank you again for being such a help with all this. I will let you know if the Oring does the trick, otherwise I will use the filter you loaned me & talk to Xtreme about repairs to mine.

Thanks too for the loan of the 2ft tank, so I can QT the Wild Greens. Now I have somewhere to put them, I will pick them up tomorrow :)

I enjoyed looking at your tank setup too & seeing your cute baby rose reds

TW
Tue Feb 10, 2009, 12:33 PM
ILLUSN, seems it must be that hose thing that's faulty, as greasing the oring didn't help & I have checked the recess where the cord comes out & there is definigtely water comig from there. Grrrrr

ILLUSN
Tue Feb 10, 2009, 10:50 PM
LOL try my top connector in your filter, if the leak stops you've found it, arn't filters fun :) I have a spare part if you need it.

TW
Tue Feb 10, 2009, 11:10 PM
Thanks ILLUSN, I may try your top connector on my filter, just to be sure. Thanks for the offer of the spare part, but as the filter is newish, it should be covered by warranty.

Hollowman
Tue Feb 10, 2009, 11:15 PM
Sounds like a major pita, I hope you get sorted :(

Goerge_of_the_Jungle
Wed Feb 11, 2009, 08:08 AM
I always keep a spare impeller shaft or two incase one snaps, you can get them from your LFS, though now its about the same cost for the impeller, shaft and rubber caps as it is just for the shaft.

Also, regarding the O-Ring, if you are having issues with a leaking O-Ring, take the one you have to a Bearing store, suuch as BSC, they are all over australia, i used to work for the company lol ... anyways, take your o-ring there, they will measure it up and give you a replacement, but also, ask for it in Silicon, reason being is that most supplied with filters are NBR, Silicon will last alot longer and has a higher chemical resistance, plus they are softer then NBR, so it means you wont get cracks n wear as you normally would on NBR, because the silicon will squish into place more easily. A Oring will usually cost about 8 bucks for a 300mm oring.

TW
Thu Feb 12, 2009, 10:04 AM
Thanks Hollowman & George

George, thanks for the oring tips. I still don't know what the cause is here. ILLUSN, I put your top connector on my filter & it is still leaking. So, I will have to put your loaned filter into action, throw my hands up in defeat & take the filter to Xtreme.

Wayne, help !!!!!!

I will come see you on the weekend.