PDA

View Full Version : Co2 and Discus

dam-mad
Tue Feb 03, 2009, 03:36 AM
Should I be aware of potential problems if adding CO2 to my happy Discus tank.

ILLUSN
Tue Feb 03, 2009, 05:29 AM
too much co2 + high temp will suffocate the fish, best to have an airstone on at night, possibly through the day as well to keep the o2 up and dont let your temp go above 29-30C

Heiko Bleher
Tue Feb 03, 2009, 02:04 PM
Hi,

this is Heiko Bleher and just for your information:

I would NOT use CO2 in Discus aquariums. There is really no need and can only harm your fish. There is a lot written about this elsewhere. (And also in my upcoming Volume II.)

This is an advice from some who has been with these fishes for over half a century...

Best regards

Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com

ILLUSN
Wed Feb 04, 2009, 03:33 AM
there you go words of wisdom from the master.

for the record i DO NOT keep discus in planted tanks anymore cause it was just too hard (balancing NO3,CO2 temp + trying to keep tank clean while bulking up the fish).

there are probably much more appropriate fish for a planted tank, then again some people do it VERY well...

dam-mad
Mon Feb 09, 2009, 02:10 AM
Thanks for your wisdom guys, no plants for my Discus

stormhenge
Mon Feb 09, 2009, 11:33 PM
you could use hardy plants like amazon swords that dont require much light or co2, just clean, warm water the same as discus.
its up to you though, i find the aesthetics of a planted tank paired with discus to be very pleasing, and my discus dont seem to complain.

DiscusDave
Tue Feb 10, 2009, 08:39 AM
I've not had any issues with Discus in my planted tank and don't find any problems trying to keep everything in balance. Although I've only been running the tank for 6 months so don;t have that much experiance. I do suspect as ILLUSN says that it wouldn't be easy growing out young discus though - maybe best to add adult fish to the planted display fish and gorw out the traditional way?