PDA

View Full Version : Clear Ammonia Source Found

TW
Mon Feb 02, 2009, 12:11 PM
Hi All

Yippee, yahoo, I've found a source of clear ammonia in Australia. No more using smelly prawns to do a fishless cycle. Anyway, I thought I'd share. It's in a powder form & you make up a stock solution for daily dosing to the tank. I'm currently using it to cycle 1 tank & to keep 2 already cycled tanks cycled, while the occupants are temporarily elsewhere.

Seems to be going well so far.

Anyway, here's the link

http://www.australianhomeguide.com.au/ac.html

Hope this might help someone out. I've been looking for a source for a long time, so thought someone else might be after some too.

ILLUSN
Tue Feb 03, 2009, 05:31 AM
lol ammonia is smelly too :)

TW
Tue Feb 03, 2009, 07:21 AM
lol ammonia is smelly too I'd have to disagree. I was using the prawns & it was making me gag. When I walked into the house from outside - you could smell it. I don't know whether being such hot weather made any difference, but the smell was really foul.

I can't smell anything now since I swapped to the ammonia & the family is no longer complaining :D

Hollowman
Fri Feb 06, 2009, 08:21 PM
The prawn thing is a bit old school really, pure ammonia is definately the way to go. On that note, I just brought home a gallon of the stuff from where I work. I think it's more than I could use in a lifetime......anyone want some :lol:

TW
Sun Feb 08, 2009, 05:48 AM
The prawn thing is a bit old school reallyTrouble though, Steve, is clear ammonia is not easily found here. I think a lot of us might have given up. Anything you buy in the supermarket or hardware store is cloudy. When you shake it, it foams. So we've mainly been stuck with cycling with prawns or hardy fish.

Prawns definitely work, but I am glad I found this source.