PDA

View Full Version : Tank is set up again

Taz Devil
Mon Feb 02, 2009, 10:52 AM
Hi All

After what seems like an eternity, I am happy to post again. In Nov 07 the back of my tank decided to pull away from the bottom meaning I had a more water on the floor (tiles thank god) than I had in the tank. Fortunately all fish were saved and are now living in a new home. Since I was in Darwin and not much happens very quickly and not knowing what the Army was going to do with me, in 09 I am now back in Townsville and have set the tank up again. These photos are just after planting it (thank you to Barramundi for donating the plants) and I hope to add some discus soon.

Cheers

Adam

lpiasente
Mon Feb 02, 2009, 08:52 PM
It looks very nice and simple and your fish will look great in there.

Taz Devil
Sun Mar 01, 2009, 04:55 AM
Here is the same tank now four weeks on. I have added the discus and played with the way it is planted. The larger discus is from Barramundi's tank as it was being bullied.

lpiasente
Sun Mar 01, 2009, 07:53 AM
It may just be the angle of the photo but your pretty fish looks very skinny. :)

Taz Devil
Sun Mar 01, 2009, 08:17 AM
Nope Unfortunately it is not the angle. He is very shy, but I am also going to fluke/worm him. When Barramundi gave him to me his fins were beaten and he was getting bullied. Barramundi said he may have flukes. I have to get to it.

Cheers

Hollowman
Sun Mar 01, 2009, 10:37 AM
It may just be the angle of the photo but your pretty fish looks very skinny. :)

I was thinking the same, stunted too. Ideally, they need to be in a bare tank to grow out or the effects of the stunting will be more severe. You cannot feed them up so much in your lovely tank, bb is the way to go really. 2 is also not a good number :wink:

Taz Devil
Sun Mar 01, 2009, 11:26 AM
Hollowman

Thanks for the comments. I actually have 5 discus in total, these are just two of them. The smaller ones are only 2-3 cms in size due to age. They have only just come into the lfs.

Will look at getting the big guy better and hopefully all will be good

Cheers

Adam

Hollowman
Sun Mar 01, 2009, 02:35 PM
ok bud, no worries :)

Taz Devil
Sun Mar 22, 2009, 08:01 AM
Hi

I am happy with the way the plants are coming along

Here are some more photos

Cheers

Adam

Taz Devil
Sun Mar 22, 2009, 08:04 AM
one more

Hollowman
Sun Mar 22, 2009, 10:15 AM
It's a lovely tank Taz, but you will have a very hard job of growing out those little discus in there. I think you will see them stunt and will never grow to be big fish.
Juvies should be raised in BB tank imo.

H :)

Ben75
Mon Mar 23, 2009, 10:00 AM
Hi Adam,
Mate the plants are coming along well. Keep up the water changes & good regular feed and your fish should growout ok, just takes them abit longer in a planted tank compared to a bb tank. All the best with them.
I have a small red lotus plant you can have if you like, its growing off the two big ones and not getting much light.
Kind Regards,
Ben

Taz Devil
Tue Mar 24, 2009, 07:37 AM
Hi Ben

Thanks for the comments. That would be great if I could get that Red Lotus off of you. I will arrange something as I am on course atm and finishing at different times.

Talk soon

Adam

Ben75
Tue Mar 24, 2009, 11:21 PM
No hurry Adam, its in my tank for you collect when ready.

barramundi
Mon Mar 30, 2009, 06:08 AM
Looking good mate,
Yeh it takes longer in a planted tank to grow discus but you've seen mine, so you know they get there in the end.
That red lotus would look great in your tank for a bit of a different color.

John