PDA

View Full Version : Sick Discus- Plague?

current516
Sat Jan 31, 2009, 03:42 AM
55 Gallon planted community tank.

2 out of 3 of my discuss got sick rapidly. 2 days ago they all were eating aggressively, had good color etc.

Last night they were looking a little shy and slightly darker in color. So I did an extra 20% PWC. I usually do 2 or 3 20% PWC a week. Without problems.

Today after work things looked bad. 2 of the discus were very dark, had white filmy stuff on them, had 1 of their fins clamped tight against their bodies and seemed to be swimming slightly at angle.

It sounded like the plague mentioned in another post here and it seemed to be happening so fast I didn't want to delay. - Put all 3 discus (even the one that still seemed OK just in case) in a quarantine tank, treating with metro, raising temp, aquarium salt, and lowering ph, as the plague post recommended.

My question is: Assuming the fish recover, do I need to do anything with my main tank before putting them back in? Won't whatever they are suffering from still be in my main tank?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

current516
Sat Jan 31, 2009, 05:03 PM
Just an update:

I know it's not necessary to answer my question but my main tank was at:

Nitrate = 10
pH = 7.0
Amm = 0 (haven't tested that in a couple of years)
temp 83 degress F - not sure Celsius conversion. I know that 's cooler than most people keep their discuss, but my plants and other fish seem to do better, and the discus have been doing fine until the day before yesterday.

-

One of the sick fish is already looking better and is eagerly eating metro soaked blood worms. :-) Although I did notice its fins looked "rotted" a little.

The other is not eating - still looking very dark. :-(

The one that didn't look sick, is eating only a little but still looks pretty good. :-|

-
Off to the store to get more metro, another aerator, and another heater. as I am having trouble keeping the tank above 32 C.

Hollowman
Sat Jan 31, 2009, 07:48 PM
You need to raise the temperature. at least 84-86F

current516
Sat Jan 31, 2009, 08:02 PM

Thanks.

yes, I plan on doing that in my main tank from here on out. I have had it at 83 for over a year without problems, but maybe that's what did it.

Is that all I need to do in my main tank after my fish recover (trying to stay optimistic)?

Do I need to treat the main tank in any other way?

Will the fish get sick again when I put them back in?

current516
Sat Jan 31, 2009, 08:14 PM
On other note, I am amazed at how fast that disease, or whatever it is, progressed.

It's a good thing I had a spare tank and some Metro ready to go!

ILLUSN
Sat Jan 31, 2009, 10:00 PM
On other note, I am amazed at how fast that disease, or whatever it is, progressed.

It's a good thing I had a spare tank and some Metro ready to go!

thats always the case, with these fish is often a case of just start treatment and try and eliminate the cause later, if you can treat early you have a much better chance of sucess.

current516
Mon Feb 02, 2009, 04:51 AM
repost

Thanks.

yes, I plan on doing that in my main tank from here on out. I have had it at 83 for over a year without problems, but maybe that's what did it.

Is that all I need to do in my main tank after my fish recover (trying to stay optimistic)?

Do I need to treat the main tank in any other way?

Will the fish get sick again when I put them back in?

-
After 2 days - 2 discus looking good (relatively) and eating :-)
The other looks a tiny bit better- but still not eating

Thanks

current516
Thu Feb 05, 2009, 06:30 PM
Well all 3 of my Discus seem to be recovering. I think they are all going to make it :D

2 of them look to be 95% recovered. #3's color looks MUCH better, and it seems more active. But, its pectoral fins are almost completely rotted away! Only little stumps remain. It seems to be having a bit of trouble swimming around.

Is there anything I can do to help it's fins grow back? They will grow back, right?

Also, Do I need to treat the main tank in addition to the fish? Will the fish get sick again when I put them back in?

Thanks

lpiasente
Thu Feb 05, 2009, 07:33 PM
Good to hear they are looking better. I have bettas any time there is fin damage I just keep up with the water changes and add a few extra.

current516
Sat Feb 14, 2009, 07:07 PM
Also, Do I need to treat the main tank in addition to the fish? Will the fish get sick again when I put them back in?

Guess nobody knows ;-)

All three Discus look great. And the one that had it the worst... its fins are growing back fast! :D

Still nervous about putting them back in the main tank though.

Hollowman
Sat Feb 14, 2009, 10:10 PM
I think that you need to keep the temp up to what I suggested, put the fish back in and see what happens. I beleive that they just got themselves run down because of the lower temp. Metabolisum slows and they become suseptable to illness, raise the temp and they are more able to fend off illness.

Make sure you are water changing at least 3 times a week, at 33% volume, and see how it goes. Don't panic, water is the best med you can use.

mistakes r crucial
Sun Feb 15, 2009, 03:05 AM
A handful of salt wouldn't go amiss either.
Cheers
MAC