PDA

View Full Version : Guys please help l'm worried !!!

lyrical
Thu Jan 29, 2009, 12:14 PM
As you guys know weve had atrocious heat here in melbourne this week ...it was 45 degrees today ...and l've had to work everyday ....at home l've been leaving the curtians inmy living room closed and the outside blinds on the windows down all the way and l've been going to work leaving the airconditioner on as well .....l come home tonight from work ...and all 3 of my discus are swiming face down looking at the gravel and not looking happy .....l've been keeping some water in a 50 litre tub to age so l did a water change of over 1/2 a tank ..and l put prime in the water as well ....l was thinking the water might be too hot for them and that it mgiht refresh them .....l put some food in after the water change ...but they havent touched it and they are still on slight angle looking at the gravel .....please help l love my discus and l'm gonna be so upset if this heat kills them and l've got to work most of the day on friday as well and it's going tobe 43 degrees.

ILLUSN
Thu Jan 29, 2009, 12:38 PM
discus wont mind the heat and will tolerate temps of 36C for up to a week with no ill effects, the problem with hot water is it holds little oxygen, turn up your air stone, or even better add another one, also if possible raise your spray bar to above the waters surface, leave lids slightly ajar and keep the light off, this will help cool the tank.

lyrical
Thu Jan 29, 2009, 01:06 PM
iIIusion l wish l could give u a huge kiss and hug,,,at the moment it looks like it may have been a lack of oxygen .......fingers crossed thankyou so very much they are all up off the bottom of the tank swimming around together and in such a short amount of time. What would l do without you guys. I put in another airstone and left a gap at the front of the tank
where l moved the cover glass back ...and l turned lights off as u suggested.

Hollowman
Thu Jan 29, 2009, 06:11 PM
I would normally expect to see them gasping at the top through lack of oxygen, but follow ILLUSN's advice and see what happens.