PDA

View Full Version : Which pair would be more worthwhile to breed?

ivo
Sat Jan 17, 2009, 11:32 AM
hi all, i am thinking to try to give it a go on breeding one pair of discus. since i only have room and time for just trying to breed one pair so i am wondering which pair would you guys think is more worthwhile to try?

- red melon pair. both parents are very clean. would the offspring also be quite clean like the parents or there may only be a few which keep the clean body free of peppers?
- red turq. and blue turq.
- blue turq. x albino white (this albino white has small redness in it)
- red melon x albino cobalt

any opinion on which pair should i try? thanks.

Hollowman
Sat Jan 17, 2009, 11:35 AM
got pics IVO?

ivo
Sat Jan 17, 2009, 12:36 PM
sure. let me know which pair will likely produce nicer offspring if successful. thanks.

p.s. the reason i can have these combination is because after i split up the original red melon pair, and the turq. pair into different tanks, then they hook up with other albino discus.

combo 1 - red male melon x albino cobalt

mistakes r crucial
Sat Jan 17, 2009, 12:50 PM
Hi Ivo,

Happy New Year mate.

Do you have a dead set Red Melon pair, have they bred successfully?

The only reason I ask is because I brought 10 over from Singapore initially and every single one was female. I heard much later that with this strain it was a pretty common scenario but that was just one persons opinion.

Personally I would be breeding a domestic strain with anything Albino, you won't get a result for at least a couple of years and the next F stop but you never know what funky stuff you could come up with.
Cheers
MAC

ivo
Sat Jan 17, 2009, 12:52 PM
combo 2: blue male turq x red female turq

combo 3: same blue male turq x female albino white

ivo
Sat Jan 17, 2009, 12:57 PM
last combo: this female red melon x the male red melon in the second picture.

ivo
Sat Jan 17, 2009, 01:05 PM
Hi Mac, happy new year to you too mate and it is almost chinese new year soon.

these are as far as the frys could survive to. as soon as they could swim then the parents couldn't protect anymore and all got eaten and sucked by filter.

TW
Sat Jan 17, 2009, 01:41 PM
What about your beautiful albino red melon pair?

ivo
Sat Jan 17, 2009, 02:01 PM
Hi tw, the two albino red melon r not a pair. One is too young n the other bigger one lost the battle by the blue turq . The albino white hooks up with the turq instead.

Hollowman
Sat Jan 17, 2009, 03:06 PM
Remember that you 'can' force pairs Ivo

TW
Sat Jan 17, 2009, 11:33 PM
What if you put the two albinos in a tank by themselves, is it possible they might pair again? Could you try it for a little while & if it doesn't work, try another pair?

I know nothing of these things really, just that they are such a nice looking pair of adults & maybe I could buy a nice juvi albino from you one day :wink:

Whatever pair - keep us posted with your progress :D

Hollowman
Sun Jan 18, 2009, 12:27 AM
The male Turq is stunning, I would pair them up.

ivo
Sun Jan 18, 2009, 11:19 AM
heyhollowman, thanks but to pair blue turq with red turq or with albino white?
Hi mac, if u read this thread again, yr choice is to cross domestic with albino then cross f1 intermediate with each other. Is it right?

mistakes r crucial
Sun Jan 18, 2009, 07:26 PM
Yup.
MAC

mistakes r crucial
Sat Feb 14, 2009, 04:21 AM
What did you end up pairing Ivo?

I love those Melons, they look very similar to the one's I had and they were always one of my favourites. Frustrated the crap out of me because I could never find a male.

If you end up with a decent amount of fry from them over the next 6 months please give me a shout if you want to sell some, I may well be ready to start growing a few out again.
Cheers
MAC

ivo
Sat Feb 21, 2009, 05:37 AM
hi. Mac, sorry only just saw yr post. I chicken out there is just too much work with breeding. Yeah I did hear couple yrs ago that most melon r female. Is it still the case nowadays?

TW
Sun Feb 22, 2009, 09:28 PM
Well, maybe after you have really settled in well from your move, your get brave again :D