PDA

View Full Version : Newby looking for help in port kennedy WA

red bull
Sat Jan 17, 2009, 05:50 AM
G Day all,Ive been keeping planted aquariums for about 15 years now and want to get some more discus as they really interest me and will look great in the tank I have.The tank is a 6x2x2 with natural rock and timber , co injection and all the bits and bobs.I have moved from Queensland where you could pick up juvenile blue discus really cheap but all my searches over here have only revealed fish in the 70 plus mark.The tank is about a year old now and my wife keeps saying we need some more swimmers.Can anyone help with my search

jezza

Hollowman
Sat Jan 17, 2009, 11:08 AM
Hi Red, Welcome to the forum.

I would recommend that you get adult fish if you intend to put them into a planted tank. Juvenile fish need lots of clean water and require a really clean environment which a planted or substrated tank cannot offer. If you intend to buy small, then a bare bottom tank is the way to go to get maximum growth. Once they are adult, 1 year to 16 months, then add them to your present set up. You will risk of stunting small fish if you add them now. I would also not recommend buying small 'cheap' fish, as these will probably be found in a lfs and will already be stunted.

hth

H :)

waitaki
Sun Jan 18, 2009, 04:42 AM
Hi Red Bull, welcome to the forum, finding cheap discus in Perth is going to be very difficult indeed. You could try and get some from the sponsors here they will ship, but I think you an account with the courier. Some of the LFS have some quality fish but you really need to know what to look for. I'll drop you a pm on some of the places I've quality discus at.
Good luck
Janice

red bull
Sun Jan 18, 2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks mate did you get my last reply,dont know where it went if anywhere

j

lillyd
Wed Feb 11, 2009, 09:17 AM
Hi Redbull I live in Baldivis and there is an aquarium shop just off Dixon Rd in Rockingham called Aquarium One. I was in there the other day and he is getting some discus in Monday week. Not sure on prices but it wouldn't hurt to have a look.