PDA

View Full Version : More questions

rwbama
Thu Jan 15, 2009, 05:04 PM
Sorry to be a pest but I've got more questions. Everytime I think I've got this figured out then something else comes up. If you don't mind could someone please address these concerns.

I'm thinking of starting a discus aquarium of 75 gallons with 6-7 discus and a few bristlenose to keep them company.

I've researched my local water report and all is very good with the exception of the ph. The graph shows that it averages 7 to 7.5. I know thats on the high side so would I have to use an RO unit to mix with the tap water?

I've decided after reading thru this forum to go with Eheim filtration. Would one large unit be enough or should I use two with one for a spare? Should I also use a sponge filter as a back up in case something happens? I know the more the better but can I overdo the filtration?

I intend to buy the discus as 2.5 inch babies and add them after the tank has propertly cycled. Can I add them to the tank and just let them grow up with no trouble?

As far as substrate goes I'm planning to have a small amount of live, low light plants but not many. I'm leaning toward pea gravel but I've read that I can use pool filter sand. I know most of you lean toward BB but as this is in my living room I would like to have a nice looking natural type of scenery in the tank. What would you recommend?

I know this is a lot of questions but I want to do this right and avoid as many mistakes as I can. Thank any and all for your patience and for your advice.

Hollowman
Thu Jan 15, 2009, 06:48 PM
Sounds good,

A group of that size will look great, they will have plenty of room to grow.

Ok, the Ph is fine, if you run through an RO it will lower your Ph for sure, when you mix back in your HMA I would hope you can achieve a stable Ph of under 7. I don't see a problem there.

For a tank of that size, I would run 2 cannisters. I use Eheim 2217's although if you really want to splash out the bigger Eheims would easily cope with it. The addition of a sponge filter will also be beneficial, as you never know when you might need a mature filter for a hospital tank, you just whip it out, fill a hospital tank with water and add fish. Easy.

Now, as for substrate I know your dilema, as you want it to look nice as well as have it optimum for the growth of your fish. For this reason, what I would suggest is to use a very thin sand covered bottom, and a nice bit of bogwood. This can look lovely. What you have to remember, is that you are going to be feeding these fish a few times a day, if possible, and therefore, they will poop a lot, which will need to be removed. Ease of cleaning is the key, using the sand in a thin layer will not trap waste and make it easy to see and clean.

hth

H :)

rwbama
Thu Jan 15, 2009, 07:40 PM
Great thanks for the reply. Do you have a suggestion for the sponge filter? So many on the market it's hard to make a choice. I do think I will go with the eheim's as you suggested. Do the eheim's have a good reputation for not flooding peoples living rooms? I have nightmares about 75 gallons on the floor when I get home from work. thanks.

Hollowman
Thu Jan 15, 2009, 08:08 PM
Eheims are bulletproof, Not heard of any leaking, my good friend Paul has one running now for over 10 years and it hasn't missed a beat or leaked. I go on recommendation for my hardware, and they (Eheim) seem to be the best. The 2217's are simple, reliable, and have good filter media volume. I have just ordered 2 more Eheim pumps for my sump and one for my water storage tank, they are good.

rwbama
Thu Jan 15, 2009, 08:27 PM
Thank you Hollowman I appriciate the information. I will do as you suggested. I had ordered a discus book and it finally came in today.
"Discus Fish A complete Pet Owner's Manual" I've only had time to read a little but it seems to cover quite a bit and is up to date on modern equipment and methods. Between this forum and my reading material I should be able to get a handle on this one day!

jesx57
Fri Jan 16, 2009, 04:16 AM
Is that the Barron's one? I have that one, its quite good.

rwbama
Fri Jan 16, 2009, 03:23 PM
Jesx57, yes its the Barron's book. I've just about finished reading it and it does have good, up to date information for people who want to get into this hobby. It would be elementary for anyone who had a lot of experience but for beginners I would recommend it. Only about 8 US plus shipping from Amazon.