PDA

View Full Version : 1.5 cube

arvindshetty86
Thu Jan 15, 2009, 09:02 AM
I am planning to keep discus .I have a spare 1.5ft cube spare tank.
I am planing to keep discus in this tank , then would shift to a bigger tank after some time.
How many discus can be kept in this size tank of size 5-10cm diameter?

jesx57
Thu Jan 15, 2009, 10:18 AM
I just calculated the size of your tank - about 91 litres. It's not really enough to keep a group of discus, maybe not even a pair. By the time you add substrate, driftwood and such, you'll probably be reduced to around 83 litres. Best to start out in a bigger tank, then you won't have a worry when the fish start getting bigger. But still, that size tank would be nice for a lone angelfish and some cories.

Hollowman
Thu Jan 15, 2009, 06:28 PM
Yep, a bigger tank needed already.

jzz30
Tue Jan 20, 2009, 01:22 AM
I would place a heap of neons in it.. would look great.

Hollowman
Tue Jan 20, 2009, 06:05 PM
No Discus, just neons? :?

Chafule
Tue Jan 20, 2009, 06:20 PM
I think he meant placing neons into the 1.5ft cube, I would do similar however with cardinals ahah.

BobbyBruce
Wed Feb 18, 2009, 09:39 AM
I don't think I would be putting discus in a tank that size but if you are following the other suggestions and considering tetras try the following. The black phantoms, if you want a tetra that displays all of the time you can't go past.

I have a school of a dozen in with my four small discus and they are the most energetic bunch of tetras I have had. Males and females engage in display behaviour but you have to like black fish. Generally when you get them they are silver with black fins. The males I have are a really deep black/silver with an irredescent blue outline to their black shoulder patches, the females have retained the silver body with black fins except for the ventrals which are a salmon pink. Both males and females display to such an extent the they frequently split dorsal and anal fins.

Regards,

Bob