PDA

View Full Version : Tank overhaul

Blybo
Thu Jan 15, 2009, 03:46 AM
Hi guy's, haven't been here in ages...

Anyhoo. My 4 foot sun sun tank has been living in its current configuration for nearly 2 years and I found it almost impossible to now grow even low light plants over the last few months. I recently replaced all the T8 globes (x4) with power glo versions with no increase in plant growth. Is it case of having to replace the substrate periodically?

The tank is 280-300 litres give or take due to wood, gravel etc, etc. Gravel is a super fine white stuff I got from subscape in Richmond. ph tends to be around 6.8, 27C, and I do a 80 litre water change about every 10 days. Tank is stocked with 6x medium size rainbows, 4 x congo tetras, 5 x angels, a couple of really nice geo's (hence fine gravel), 2 bolivan rams, 2 bristlenose and 1 remaining SAE. I gave up on Discus as I didn't have the time nor inclination to do the necessary up keep have keep them healthy.

I love my 2 orange head geo's and don't want to let them go but I want to keep plants too like swords and twisted vall and hopefully some red lotus. The white gravel looked awesome when new but quickly got a fine cover of green algae that no amount of vacuuming would remove so I'm thinking a dark or red gravel might be a good change.

Your thoughts...

ILLUSN
Thu Jan 15, 2009, 04:25 AM
If you like a red earthy coloured substrte try dulpa ground its fantastic for swords and tiger lotus, i think you'll have a tough time growing the tiger lotus ith geo in there, these plants put out an extensive network of fine roots that geos will disturb. Swords and Val will be fine, if your worried grow them in pots do the geo's wont disrupt the roots.

either way if you want to grow a tiger lotus propperly you'll need more light, my 340L has 4x54w T5 with individual reflectors and its just enough to grow a red tiger lotus well, maybe look at some clip on t* reflectors for your hood or some slimline T5's to slot in istead of your stock lighting.

Blybo
Thu Jan 15, 2009, 05:00 AM
Thanks for that. So are you saying the substrate has probably passed a use by date?

In the past I've searched in vain for somewhere to source a waterproof retro fitting kit to change my T8 for T5. The hood came with 3xT8 and I added a separate fitting under the hood but it's an aluminum hood thats quite shallow, ie. theres no more room :(

Here's an average photo of the whole tank from about a year ago

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff88/Blybo/IMG_0561.jpg

And my geo's (I was told Rio Negro?) from around the same time.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff88/Blybo/IMG_0557.jpg

ILLUSN
Thu Jan 15, 2009, 07:12 AM
Try investing in 2 of these

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=4318&catID=86

you'll have to source some parablic reflectors but any lfs that deals with hagen can get them in for you. the endcaps are waterproof so you wont have to worry, just place the ballast in your cabinate and clip the bulbs into your hood easy as.

your substrate does not look like a real planted substrate, it looks like a fine gravel/ corse quartz sand, this has no nutrients, if you want to grow propper plants get a propper substrate (budget atleast $200 for this)

Blybo
Thu Jan 15, 2009, 11:28 AM
Fantastic you can now get retro fit kits :D :D :D :D . i can only fit 39W globes inside my hood though. This would be the best solution but may end up being more expensive than a hole new T5 equipped hood for the tank, if they are available separately now :? . They weren't the last time I checked.

I've also found this
http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/t5-florescent-light-fittings-supreme-aqua/t5-aquarium-light-6x39w-h/o-910-long-individual-reflectors/prod_637.html

not as neat but would be quite a bit cheaper :? . Does this brand have a good reputation?

My tank's foot print is 1200mm x 42mm. How much substrate would I need? I've seen the dupla Ground which is suspect the one you recommended for $75 per 20 litre bucket

ILLUSN
Thu Jan 15, 2009, 12:06 PM
those lights are BAD I have 3 and the output of them is no match for the hagen and reflecters, not even close

Blybo
Thu Jan 15, 2009, 10:51 PM
OK :lol: . I know which way I'm going then :wink: . I might do it in 2 stages just so SWMBO doesn't crack it :P . I'm thinking it might be nice to keep 1 T8 and use it as a moon light. Can you get those cold cathode whatjamcallits for T8 fittings? I'll do more research today

Thanks again ILLUSN, you've been a great help. The news of T5 retro kits has got me excited about the hobby again. I wonder if the missus will buy me a CO2 kit for my birthday in March :lol: . I have a yeast based system I DIY'ed but I lost a couple of fish the last time I used it because of large PH fluctuations, I'll be a lot more careful this time...

Blybo
Tue Jan 20, 2009, 11:50 PM
Update 21/1/09

Last night I ordered 2 of the above linked 2x39W remote ballast T5 retro kits and 3 bags of the Eco complete live that I'll mix with a dark fine gravel as my planted substrate. I'll be away over the weekend but will hopefully set all this up the following weekend.

My Geo's will have to go :cry: . I asked for an ID here 2 days ago but no replies :( . I may just take them to the LFS.

I seen these globes described as moonlights
Link here (http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquarium-supplies/fish-tank-equipment/aquarium-lighting/fluorescent-t8-lighttubes/marine-blue-t8-fluorescent-lamp-arcadia.html)

I was just wondering if anybody here has used them for moon light purposes as it would be very easy to leave 1 T8 fitting in my hood. I only want a very dim light, nothing over bearing.

ILLUSN
Wed Jan 21, 2009, 12:41 AM
i wouldn't watse your money or wpg on a blue light, stick an extra plant grow light in your t8 fitting the CRI is fine on most of them. any t8 will be too bright for a moon light you'd want led or similar system (cold cathode etc)

Blybo
Wed Jan 21, 2009, 12:50 AM
Thanks. I've got a 4x T8 * power glo's in there now and they are only 2 months old... Might try and see how many of the t8's I can keep with the new T5 fittings :wink:

* Tank came with 3 installed and 1 is a stand alone fitting which will shortly be up for sale

I have 2xMarina led moon lights currently but find them too focused for a 4 footer, they will go in the Orca 80l tank tonight...