PDA

View Full Version : first time breeding pair need advice about habits of eggcare

JJ1
Wed Jan 14, 2009, 12:09 PM
:roll:
we have just discovered that our red turquise discus and our pigeon blood
discus have paired up and yesterday i turned on the tank lights to discover where we thought they were cleaning they had laid some eggs,now i dont know if my turning the lights on and paying attention did anything wrong ,or if it was the fact that a few of them were already attacked by fungus? when the egg goes from being opaque to being white or if my red turquise was just being too over careful at cleaning the bad eggs off the site, because after about 2 or 3 hours the red turquise began to clean the eggs off and i started to notice there being less and less eggs now there is only about 8 eggs left out of about 50 or so ,could this behaviour be just because they are young 1 1/2 to 2 years old and dont know what they are doing ,we are confused but at the same time delighted that we have a pair :?
thank you
ps we have a few pics of the eggs at the start when noticed
james

Hollowman
Wed Jan 14, 2009, 06:32 PM
Hi james,
In a new pair this is often the case, they do not really know what they are doing. They will lay again, but they might not get it right for a few times yet.

I must say that the combination or possible outcome of this pair would not be disireable, but for experience it's a steep learning curve and very exciting.

The white eggs btw are infertile and do fungus over quite quickly. Fungus will also grow on the good eggs that are close by too. keep your water good and clean and see what happens.

Good luck

H