PDA

View Full Version : To DI or not to DI...

Vase
Wed Jan 14, 2009, 01:10 AM
that is literally the question :D

Basically I shall be modifying/upgrading my RO unit for when I set my tank up. I have an RO unit and an HMA unit and will be using the housings etc to my own requirements. The product water will be going into a holding tank, under my main tank. I'll be using a shut off valve also in the holding tank to prevent flooding (unlike last time..lol).

The plan is to get pure RO to the holding tank, then remineralise, heat and aerate etc there, before using the next day.

So my question is: In order to get the best water I can, what 'media' should I put in the housings? I have four 10" housings available. I can use pre-filter, carbon block, CBR2 (?) and DI, and thats before it gets to the membrane. It may be overkill but I have the parts there already and it seems silly to waste them.

Obviously I'll need to work out specifics but I can practice getting things bang on in the holding tank before I even set the main tank up!

Hollowman
Wed Jan 14, 2009, 06:43 PM
I would forget about DI, there is really no need, and it gets to be expensive to keep refilling the DI unit.

You have the right equipment already, (cbr2 and RO) No more expenditure needed imo :)

Vase
Wed Jan 14, 2009, 08:50 PM
Ahhh cheers mate :D

Basically I want to make things as easy as I can this time round so I'm using a float switch to turn off the RO unit, rather than relying on myself! Because of that I'm not going to be using the HMA filter that I have, but instead I want to use its housings to add onto the RO for better filtration.

I've got them there so figured I'd use them. I'll leave out the DI but filters are cheap enough.

:D

Hollowman
Wed Jan 14, 2009, 09:12 PM
You can always piggy back on another membrane to increase water production and lower waste. :wink:

Vase
Wed Jan 14, 2009, 09:29 PM
Can do I guess. Membrane housings are cheap enough and its something I can add anytime. The one I have is 36gpd but I'm going to get a new one as it hasnt been used for about two years...lol.

With 'piggy backing' would you just have pipe coming out of the first membrane and straight into the second, or would you need another flow restrictor or anything else? Never done it before so not sure how it works and produces less waste etc :?

Hollowman
Wed Jan 14, 2009, 09:35 PM
You would need a new uprated flow restrictor, but they are cheap enough. The second membrane connects to the waste from the first one then connects in line as before. I have 2- 100GPD on mine, with a pump too.

Vase
Thu Jan 15, 2009, 06:27 PM
So, for example, I could fit two 36gpd membranes and the right flow restictor. I've seen a diagram on RO mans website. I want to get a flush kit and I think it comes with a flow restrictor anyway.

Does piggybacking make a noticeable difference to performance and the amount of product water you get in, say, 24 hours? I've come up with a water changing regime (see here http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18460) so if I go ahead with that I'll need 50 gallons of water every other day.

Hollowman
Thu Jan 15, 2009, 06:57 PM
It will double your output. I know Martin from RO-Man, you can always email him for advice, he is very helpful

Vase
Thu Jan 15, 2009, 07:03 PM
ahhh brilliant. Once again Hollowman, thanks for your help. Does anyone else on this forum actually reply to posts?....lol

Hollowman
Thu Jan 15, 2009, 08:11 PM
:lol: :lol: yes, they do, and there are some great minds here too, it's just being an Austrailian forum they are all asleep when I log on, but I am in England :lol: :lol:

Vase
Thu Jan 15, 2009, 08:47 PM
Yeah, me too. Changing the subject I've seen some nice Discus on Chen's Discus. Any decent places that you know of in the uk. Just to wet the pallet like :D

Hollowman
Thu Jan 15, 2009, 08:49 PM
Are you in the UK Vase?

Vase
Thu Jan 15, 2009, 09:26 PM
Yeah, Northants.

I remember traveling miles ages ago, to look at some discus, and the bloke had about two tanks in a shed with about three fish. I couldve cried :lol: