PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Filter Peat?

tailz
Wed Jan 14, 2009, 12:20 AM
Hello,
I sware by filter peat in my canister filters, but the stuff can be hard to get in Sydney at my local stores or just expensive. I wonder if anyone knows of an alternative?

I've tried water addatives, but nothing seems to do the job as good as filter peat.

Can anyone give me any sugjestions?

ILLUSN
Wed Jan 14, 2009, 01:32 AM
order a bail of TEAM canadian peat, 1 bail is 140L from memory and costs about $100

tailz
Wed Jan 14, 2009, 02:34 AM
order a bail of TEAM canadian peat, 1 bail is 140L from memory and costs about $100
I have never heard of this product.... can you Private Message me with a URL to some product info? I googled for it and I got a BioSecurity web site for importing soil into New Zealand! :shock:

ILLUSN
Wed Jan 14, 2009, 03:07 AM
Have a read here, my bad its a 240L bale

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=141605&highlight=peat#141605

tailz
Wed Jan 14, 2009, 03:31 AM
Have a read here, my bad its a 240L bale

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=141605&highlight=peat#141605
Thanks mate, I'll have a good look at this. :D

waverush
Wed Jan 14, 2009, 05:09 PM
I have heard amazing things about Indian almond leaves placed in the tank to sink, or in the filter.

I haven't heard any cons other than the "black" water created by the tannins (which is the type of water Discus like in their Amazon homes). They are relatively inexpensive and you only need 1 per 10 gallons, every 3-or-so weeks.

Please note that I myself have not yet tried it, but I intend to when the time comes.

ILLUSN
Wed Jan 14, 2009, 10:20 PM
Indian almond leaves are GREAT if you can get them, if anyone in sydney has some (preferably in bulk) let me know.

tailz
Wed Jan 14, 2009, 10:59 PM
How would you use said Indian Almond leaves? Do they need to be prepaired in some special way? And I'd like to know where to get them too if they are so good.

Hollowman
Wed Jan 14, 2009, 11:04 PM
You just plop them in the tank and the tannins leech out.

tailz
Thu Jan 15, 2009, 12:50 AM
You just plop them in the tank and the tannins leech out.
It is really that simple? Cool. I want to do up my tank to look like an Amazon river bed or flooded forest floor, haveing these leaves on the gravel would look the part - and be good for the tank too!

How cool is that!!!

Now i wonder where to get some....

AHC
Thu Jan 15, 2009, 01:09 AM
I got a batch last year from a guy in Melbourne who probably imported them from Qld as the trees grow in warmer climates. ANyway i searched in google and found him on another site selling them. I pop them into my water storage tank to leach all their goodness.

You can also boil them on the stove and use the water as a concentrate mix to put into the tank (when its cool). But id rather just pop them in the tank (they do look the 'river bed' part if you have sand) or water storage tub.

I also popped a few into my brother community tank but they took ages to start leeching and i think its because his PH wasnt that low. I think maybe a lower PH helps to break them down? Anywho...