PDA

View Full Version : ph crash

lpiasente
Tue Jan 13, 2009, 09:09 PM
I got up this morning to the discus all huddled in a corner breathing quite rapidly. did all the water checks and the ph has crashed. I usually sit it at 6.6 but it is as low as the test kit goes. I have only had this happen once and that was in my old tank with far too many fish, plants gravel over feeding and not enough water changes. This is a new set up with 2 canisters clean water, very clean water so I am not sure what has happened. Any ideas? The gh I add 2 drops before it changes colour and the kh just won't read at all. After 20 drops and no colour change I gave up. All other water tests are fine. I do use a ph down but the water sits for a few days altered before it goes in the tank and I always test it before I change it. I changed some water and have bought the ph up a little and will continue to do this over the day but would like to know what caused this and how to stop it happening again. Thanks
:Leanne

Hollowman
Tue Jan 13, 2009, 09:30 PM
Are you using RO?

lpiasente
Tue Jan 13, 2009, 09:44 PM
No RO. Just tap water with prime and a ph down. It has never been a problem before.

Hollowman
Tue Jan 13, 2009, 10:00 PM
Test your source and aged water. Sounds like you have no buffer in your water.

pink66
Tue Jan 13, 2009, 10:13 PM
I was having a bit of trouble with the ph as my water is very very soft (no reading at all).. so no buffer.. placing shell grit into your filter will assist to give the water the buffer it needs to hold. I am finding that my tank is more stable and no ph dives..

as a matter of interest, what is the ph out of your tap???? mine is currently 7.1 and my tanks hold steady at 6.8..

lpiasente
Tue Jan 13, 2009, 10:39 PM
Hi Sharon, ph in tap water is currently 8. I will add some shell grit to the canisters and see if that helps.