PDA

View Full Version : Free swimming fry trouble !

Scat
Tue Jan 13, 2009, 12:41 PM
Hi :)

I have a pair( red melon & blue turk ) that i let spawn 3 times in the community tank before moving them into a 2x18x18 to breed.
They are now up to their 3rd spawn in the 2x18x18 and each time have got the fry up to free swimming stage and then lose control of them.

The fry end up all over the place then dont feed properly and die within 48 hrs.
Right now the fry are just starting to free swim and am hoping they will get them further this time.

Ive had a pair of blue turks that done exactly the same thing but on their 3rd time in the spawning tank they got it right ! and am hoping this is the case.

Am looking for some advice from experienced breeders please :)

Cheers
Craig

Hollowman
Tue Jan 13, 2009, 06:30 PM
Hi Craig,

Firstly, when they start to detach from the cone or whatever they are laid on, lower the water to just above the tallest parent fish. This gives the fry more chance of attaching to the parents, (less water to get lost in) Remove the cone or any ornaments.
Make sure that (and I am supposing you are using just a sponge filter in there) that you cover the sponge with a white stocking or white tights, as well as make sure the bottom, back and sides of the tank are painted/covered in a light colour. Fry are attracted to dark shapes, this is why parent fish darken when they are in breeding mode. So, with both of these methods in effect, you might have some more luck.

hth

H :wink:

ILLUSN
Tue Jan 13, 2009, 10:57 PM
Also add a small desk lamp (i use a 5w cf globe) next to the tank and leave it on 24/7 it will stop your fry getting lost in the dark, if your fry dont attach, try adding 1 tsp of salt/80L, it will stimulate the parents to produce slime.

Scat
Wed Jan 14, 2009, 03:55 AM
Thanks for the advice guys :)

Steve im using a 2213 eheim canister in this tank but have a small sponge over the intake pipe, this is also at the opposite side of the tank where the spawning cone is placed.

Illusn, thanks for the tip about the salt helping to produce slime i was unaware of that !

Will try these methods out !

Cheers :)
Craig

Hollowman
Wed Jan 14, 2009, 06:26 PM
Using the cannister can prove problematic Craig, the flow is probably quite strong and it will damage the newly free swimmers if they get caught in it. As this is what you have, you could either try to reduce the flow, or use a sponge over the water coming into the tank to stop turbulance.
Also to get a better or higher fertilisation rate, when you see them spawn, turn the filter off for an hour. This helps the male's milt have more time to cover the eggs.

Steve

Scat
Thu Jan 15, 2009, 10:34 AM
Hi Steve :)

I didnt feel the flow from the spray bar was too much and have kept it right on the top for surface agitation, i dont see much water movement in the tank, but with the methods suggested on here once they have become free swimming again i will drop the water level and remove the spray bar so just the filtered water trickles in one side gently.

How does that sound ?

Cheers :)
Craig

Hollowman
Thu Jan 15, 2009, 06:51 PM
If you see the free swimmers flying around in the current, its still too much, but you'll find out soon :lol:

jimmyg
Thu Jan 15, 2009, 09:26 PM
Hollowman you have hit it on the head, i lost my first lot of babies from not attching to the Parents as I was using a Fluval Cannister Filter and turned it down and covered the inlet but they still push the water.

I have changed to all SPONGE filters in my Breeding tanks and not even one issue and I have 6 batches of babies on the go at the moment and the last lot I have is about 180+ Babies and haven't lost 1.

I have a Fluuval on my Grow out Tanks and had a couple of issues but help from everyone on this site has helped heaps.

Thanks
Jimmy

Hollowman
Thu Jan 15, 2009, 09:31 PM
Thats great news Jimmy, sponges are the way to go in breeders. As you say, the fluval is fine in a raising tank, just not where small fry are involved.

Any pics Jimmy?

jimmyg
Fri Jan 16, 2009, 07:38 AM
I will post a couple

mistakes r crucial
Sat Jan 17, 2009, 12:33 PM
If push comes to shove you can also use a fry food to keep them alive if they're all over the place. I used a micro food with a few of my pairs and it worked well. It was a paste so I'd mix a few drops with tank water and use a turkey baster to get it in front of them. Saved hundreds of fry over a few years.
Cheers
MAC

Scat
Sat Jan 17, 2009, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the tip Mac that is well worth trying also :)

Craig