PDA

View Full Version : water changes

lpiasente
Mon Jan 12, 2009, 09:17 PM
Since I have been doing lots of water changes lately and even more so now with my bigger tank I needed to make things easier for myself as lugging heavy buckets accross the loung floor was becoming very messy and heavy. My husband rigged up a pond pump with a hose long enough to head out the lounge window straight onto out fruit trees. So I put in in the tank plug it in turn it on and done. I do run the gravel cleaner over the gravel to remove any poop or left over food. To refill I am keeping water in bins outside treated aged and heated. I put the pond pump in the bin hose in the tank turn it on and it's all done. The flow into the tank is very steady and not heavy so it doesn't upset the fish or plants at all. I hope this helps make water changes easy for someone else. :)

Hollowman
Mon Jan 12, 2009, 09:31 PM
Thats a good way leanne, saves a bad back!! I would siphon out the poop as normal by the method you were using and pump the rest.

pink66
Tue Jan 13, 2009, 12:35 AM
saves hours and wet floors.. I agree.. everyone is happier,, my son was my main "water boy" he is wrapped with the "no bucket" rule.. I cannot wait to get my aging drums sorted..