PDA

View Full Version : filtration for a 6x2x2 planted aquarium

Andy123
Thu Jan 08, 2009, 05:27 AM
hey all,
very soon i am going to get a 6x2x2 aquarium and move my plants and discus(along with more plants and discus) into there. i am going to get 2 canister filters to filter this. i know eheim is best on the market so i will get 1 if not 2 of them. anyone recomend some models i should go for as i have no idea? the tank will hav discus, tetras, cories and SAE(maybe a few other fish if that all is well) and will be heavily planted
thanks

ILLUSN
Thu Jan 08, 2009, 11:29 AM
if you want to eheims your best bet would be 2 eheim 2250's they'll have the grunt but unlike other classics they dont come with media or taps, i run an eheim pro 3 2080 and to be honest 1 does the job on my 6x2x2 fine, you can pick one of these up + media for less than 2 2250's + media so that would be my suggestion, if you decide later on you want more filtration add an eheim 2217 later, its excellent value for money but i dont think you'll need it.

my planted 6x2x2 houses 14 med angels, 3 med clown loaches 6 dwarf loaches 6 kuli loaches 4 common BN's 30 glowlite tetras and 3 SAE's i do water changes (30%) once a week. the filter gets dirty though you'll have to wash out the prefilter every 2 weeks and give the filter a clean once a month with tank water (plant bits get stuck in there)

Greggy
Thu Jan 08, 2009, 01:27 PM
I run an Eheim 2250 Classic and and Eheim 2228 Pro on my planted 6x2x2 Discus/community tank and they do a fantastic job - especially the 2250. The tank and the 2228 have been running for 23 months whilst the 2250 has been running for 20 months. I usually clean the filters about every 3 or 4 months. However I had not cleaned the 2250 for about 6 months until two weekends ago, and I thought the 2" coarse foam at the bottom of the filter would be extremely clogged due to all the tank debris that gets sucked into the 2250's intake, however I was surprised to find that although the foam was a little 'gluggy' the internals of the filter were relatively clean and the filter still flowed about 90% as good as it does when it's 100% clean - and thats with ZERO bypass mind you (something the Eheim Classics have over nearly all other filters). The rest of my 2250 comprises of Eheim Substrat Pro with two layers of fine filter wool tucked in at the top making sure no tiny particles get into my tank.

It just goes to show that once you get a really healthy colony of bacteria in your filter and you don't mess with it too much (and clean it only in tank water) the capacity for a filter like the 2250 to break down waste is just amazing! The Eheim 2250/2260 Classic filters are simply supurb.

I don't have any experience with the newer Eheim 2080 series but I believe they are great filters as well.

Regards,

Greggy