PDA

View Full Version : Tank bred heckle

lpiasente
Mon Jan 05, 2009, 09:48 PM
I got a little tank bred heckle on the weekend. I got him for $29. He was so lonely and sad in the tank and had some damaged fins and very very skinny. I think he must have been given a bit getting picked on that's why he is so skinny and some bits out of his fins. I am a sucker for puppy dog eyed animals. I got him home put him in a tank with the other 2 I bought from the same place and he hasn't stopped eating. His fins are held high his colour has come up so nicely. I hope he continues to do well. I keep my tank ph at 6.6. Do I need to drop it for Mike ( that's his name) or as this is the ph he is used to will he be fine?.

ILLUSN
Mon Jan 05, 2009, 10:16 PM
mine did really well at a ph of 5.5 till they got sick when i introduced new fish with out quarentine, also try a little black water extract as a tonic to help pick the little guy up.

TW
Mon Jan 05, 2009, 10:25 PM
My heckels are in Sydney water straight out of the tap. I do age the water, but don't play with the pH.

lpiasente
Tue Jan 06, 2009, 12:42 AM
Well maybe I will just keep it as is and keep an eye on him. He seems happy I just wasn't sure if there would be any long term problems with 6.6. He is blue and brown does that coloring have a name?

TW
Tue Jan 06, 2009, 12:46 AM
I wonder if he is a heckle cross. I've read a lot of stuff lately where it's said that pure heckle mating in captivity is a rare thing indeed. Do you have a picture. I've seen them crossed with Turks before (in fact, I once had a turk / heckle cross).

I don't play with the pH, because I worry that I wouldn't be able to keep it stable once I play with it.

Usually it would have been best to QT him, but I hope this works out for you.

Good luck with the little guy.

pink66
Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:58 AM
oh we are soooooo alike :lol: :lol: :lol:

I too am a sucker for those little "puppy dog eyes" that the fishies do soooooo well.. My african tank is full of african, american, loaches, rams, etc.. (what a combination) and they all get on just wonderfully (which is good for them as most of them had an option of come and live at my house or not live at all !!!). I also have my fair share of adopted discus.. and I love them all to death..

Good luck with him.. (Looking forward to a pic) eventually it can become a before and after pic :wink:

TW
Tue Jan 06, 2009, 03:15 AM
Agree, the before & after pic would be great. Sharon has the before & after shot of Finn & the improvement was great to see in the after shot

lpiasente
Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:11 AM
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn175/lpiasente/DSCF2973.jpg
Here he is. Six feeds a day and 50% water change once sometimes twice a day and he is already filling out. He does not stop eating. Does he look stunted or just young?

lpiasente
Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:23 AM
I just looked at some pics of a heckle and this one does look like a cross with a turk. But still a cute little fella.

rex82
Tue Jan 06, 2009, 11:17 AM
definitely a turk cross................., nice looking fish.

heres a pic of one of mine. won the photo comp last year.
entry #21.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16064&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=20

i love these fish. the dark bars add a bit of individual to the fish.

lpiasente
Fri Jan 09, 2009, 05:29 AM
Nice looking fish. I hope mine grows up like that.