PDA

View Full Version : Discus fish has stooped eating.

johnob
Mon Jan 05, 2009, 07:56 PM
Hi,
I am fairly new to keeping discus fish. I had a bad start a few weeks ago when 3 out of 5 of my new discus died within a day or two. The entire shipment received by the petshop I bought from also died. I managed to keep 2 alive, one started to eat immediately, the other did'nt eat for over 3 weeks. I had given it up for dead. I noticed that there was an outbreak of itch (white spot) which I treated immediately, I believe that this was down to the weakened condition of the fish as all my water parameters were good. I also treated with an Anti Internal Bacteria medication (No 9 from Interpet). Remarkably the fish I had given up hope on has started to eat and is looking a lot better (even though his colour is still very dark)

My problem is that the fish that was origionally eating well has now stopped eating (4 or 5 days). The fishes poo is white stringy and transparent more like its stomac lining. I am wondering did the medications I administered do him harm ?. I would appreciate any advice on what I should do ?. Water Temp 29.3 Deg C, PH 7.0, Water Hardness 6 to 8, Nitrite 0, Nitrate between 10 and 20.
Rgds
John

jesx57
Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:26 AM
Sounds like Heximita - dark colour, not eating, stringy poos. I doubt the medications you added harmed your fish. You should dose with Metronidazole and elevated temps. I am unsure whether you could get this medication exclusively from your aquarium. If you read some of the stickys in the Illness and Medication section, there should be some info on Heximita and dosage rates for you. I haven't heard much about Interpet no.9, but it has obviously done something good for one of your fish. It may be more than one ailment that is contributing to your fishes illness. Make sure you do a good waterchange before starting another treatment.