PDA

View Full Version : New Tank - Lighting Question

Dangerous Dave
Mon Jan 05, 2009, 10:45 AM
Hi,

I have just upgraded to a 4'x1.5'x2' (2' deep) tank in a cabinet with hood and a sump.

I am looking at lighting for this tank and want to get a reasonable amount of light but won't be using CO2.

Current plants for the tank are Amazon Swords, Various Crypts, Banana Lillies, Red Tiger Lotus, Sunset Hygro, Ambulia, Java Fern & Moss and Anubias. I want to add some Pygmy Chain Swords at a later date.

I am open to suggestions but have been looking at the following lights:

1. GLO T5HO Twin Linear Unit 2 x 54W AU$165.00
Highly attractive Glo T5 HO (High Output) Systems were developed for both marine and freshwater systems to direct maximum lighting to your aquarium. Due to the compact diameter of the T5 HO bulbs, up to two of these powerful bulbs can now be housed in the same space that one T8 or T10 requires, providing substantially greater light levels and reducing space requirements at once. The combination of the space saving design, energy efficiency and easy installation make the T5 HO System ideal for aquarists of all levels from the novice to the hobbyist.
This 48" Glo T5 HO Lighting System features a 54 watt high output format and a single light configuration. Integrated extension brackets adapt to a range of aquarium lengths (46.75" - 64"). This lighting system includes aquarium mounting brackets for a secure installation and vertical adjustments. In addition, the fixture includes mounting legs with adjustable heights. This assists in adjusting aquarium light levels as well as providing a variety of visual presentations. Water-resistant end caps provide safe, reliable performance that is made to last throughout the years.
The system includes a T5 HO electronic ballast, and polished internal aluminum reflector all housed within the polished aluminum canopy with integrated hanging and extending mounting brackets. Bulbs sold separately.
Product Features:
Integrated Extension Brackets
54 watt unit adjusts to fit aquariums from 118.5 to 165.50 cm in length.
Aquarium Mounting Brackets
Allows the fixture to be fastened to the aquarium at four different vertical positions and assists in adjusting the light levels.
Integrated Suspension Tabs
Enables easy suspension over your aquarium but if not used they recess into the fixture ensuring a clean attractive look.
Electronic Technology
Creates optimal bulb performance and longevity of the lamp and ballast.

2. Aqualina 48 inch High Output (HO) T5 Quad Fluorescent Light x [AQUALINA 120] $304.94
New T5 High Output fluorescent lighting these units give you more watts and light in the same area compared to traditional T8 Fluorescent.
assembled.
Available in twin and quad combinations.
These units will give you increased power and intensity.
T5 gives better penetration so is more effective in deeper aquariums.
Tubes not included requires 4 x 55 watt T5 fluorescent tubes. These units are Australian made with 12 months warranty. Aluminium housing with splash proof protection for lamps.
Please note only the Aqualina brand of tube is recommended for this unit and other brands of tube may not be compatible.
Picture shows Compact fluorescent light, the T5 unit is identical in appearance.
Please keep in mind more wattage means more heat so these lights may be to hot under an aquarium hood/canopy.
L1222mm X W185mm X H68mm

3. T5 AQUARIUM LIGHT 4x54W H/O Individual Reflectors $245.00
SolarMax 4x54W T5 1200 Long Light With Individual Reflectors + Stands
4xT5 54W Hi Output light fitting. The light fitting comes complete with hang kit points & adjustable stand set. Globes are not included.
The light has a Clear Perspex cover over the globes. The reflector is made of high quality aluminum which also is coated to be insensitive against Oxidation and getting scratched.
This light gives your aquarium a evenly, soft light over the whole length. The light fitting is 1200 long x 250 wide x 55 high.
It Looks very elegant, shines very bright, and does not use up much energy. The built in reflectors are optimized for this lamp, and raise the power of the luminance about 50%.
This Fitting Has The Newest Electronic Technology And Australian Approved Ballasts. 1 power cord and 2 on/off switches for control.
This Fitting Will Bring Out The Best in Your Aquarium. A Must For Your Marine, Tropical Or Plant Aquarium

I am not sure whether to look at the HO T5 lights or Power Compacts. The cabinet also has a hood so I not sure as to how much these lights will heat up.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

ILLUSN
Mon Jan 05, 2009, 11:51 AM
of those options go the hagen, the aqualina unit uses custom globes and the last one is no good. a better still option would be to get the hagen balast kit, it has ballast and endcaps for 2x54w T5's, the best thing about this unit is it costs bout $80 and for $30 more you can get propper parrabolic refectors for each tube which practly tripple the light hitting your tank.

Dangerous Dave
Tue Jan 06, 2009, 12:40 AM
Thanks for that ILLUSN. If I do go with the first option I am looking at around 1.2 wpg. Is that enough for those plants? Will the light penetrate deep enough into the bottom of a tank 2 feet deep.
Any tips as to where a good place is to purchase a decent parabolic reflector?

ILLUSN
Tue Jan 06, 2009, 01:15 AM
You wont be able to use clip on reflectors in the hagen glo housing, you can get the reflectoers from most goof LFS

heres the kit i was talking about from one of our sponsors

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=4318&catID=2

the thing to remember that the old WPG rule is for t8s with no mirros or reflectors, in a tank 4 foot long 2 foot deep I managed to grow a carpet of glosso with 4x 54w t5 using individual reflectors. so lower light plants like yours will be fine with 2x54w T5's