PDA

View Full Version : My first large Discus, Can someone suggest the breed?

syndosis
Sat Jan 03, 2009, 04:46 AM
Hello all.
Well, I went to pick up my 7cm discus that I had on layby only to find it was sold. Instead he had a single large 14cm discus that he thought was the one I wanted. Selling it to me for the cheaper price, I am happy because I love the color.
Wondering though if anyone can identify the color/pattern type of this discus.
I am thinking its of the Cobalt blue variety and maybe female.

Your thoughts are appreciated please.

Hollowman
Sat Jan 03, 2009, 09:32 AM
It's a Cobalt. Cobalts are blue, so just Cobalt. You can tell it is by the stripes in the fins, generally, Cobalts have a face pattern too.
hth
H

syndosis
Sat Jan 03, 2009, 09:36 AM
Thanks for confirming that and yeah your correct, cobalt blue is a double up of the same meaning..lol.

Have to work out eventually if its male/female as would like to breed it. Is quite large and I was only expecting smaller ones.

Thanks again.

Hollowman
Sat Jan 03, 2009, 09:42 AM
Its a job to tell, hedging my bets, I'd say female,(this can only be a guess) but the fish looks quite old to me, so if you are looking to breed, which you will be advised to do in a BB tank, you'll need a suitably mature male or get a bunch of smaller fish to grow out and pair up.

syndosis
Sat Jan 03, 2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks for that. Yes it does appear older and the size certainly suggest that also.
BB certainly would be best thanks so now the job to find a suitably mature male for her. I don't want to go crossing breeds as I believe it should be left up to those that know what they are doing more. I would love to breed the cobalts though.

Maybe someone here in South Australia might have a male to lend me to breed or vise versa.

Thanks for your help, you really add your wisdom and experience to this forum and make it a pleasure to be part of.

Hollowman
Sat Jan 03, 2009, 10:18 AM
A common goal my friend, no problem.