PDA

View Full Version : Fish isn't eating

chris_d
Tue Jan 18, 2005, 05:36 AM
i have a 3ft tank, 4 browns and one of them isn't eating or as lively as the rest of them. it has dark stripes on its body. occasionally all of them all of them get stripes but this fades after a bit, but for this fish's its stripes however aren't fading. looking closely i don't see any signs of disease ie legions except for the stripes and its darker colour. it seems listless and hides in the corner. it's feaces are normal colour.

i had these fish for a couple months now and had odd occations of minor itch. i change 40% of water every 4th or 3rd day and their staple diet is mainly colour bits and blood worms. its been like this for about 3 days

help would be much appreciated :cry:

weird
Tue Jan 18, 2005, 10:01 AM
I would increase your water changes for the next two weeks. :wink:

I have a req turq that is always showing his stripes and he is as healthy as, so I would not be too concerned about the stripes.

Just keep an eye on him.

chris_d
Sat Jan 22, 2005, 06:04 AM
2 days ago i did a 60% water day and the next day 40%. i don't know if it was a bit early but i started to treat based on the assumption that its hex,using the 6ppl of metro/ 30% water change everyday method. Though looking closely all of my 4 including the sick seem to have a cloudy substance in their eye and i don't know what it is. it seems not to affect them much except i have seen them recently scratching themselves on the driftwood around the affect part. Here are a few pics. iam now thinking this maybe someother thing. i don't know what to do next. should i continue with the treatment for this the third day???????

i did some research and i thinkthe cloudy eyes could be the onset of popye...... :(

Trebs
Sat Jan 22, 2005, 08:37 AM
Hard to tell from the pics but sounds very much like cloudy eye. Basically it looks like a whitish film that forms over the eye. If it's not too bad treat with salt. If it is covering a fair portion of the eye use triple sulfur.

Cloudy eye is a result of stress either from bullying and/or poor water conditions. Treat the cloudy eye, but also investigate the cause as cloudy eye is a symptom.

Please post your ph, ammonia and nitrite.

As far as I know cloudy eye and pop-eye are unrelated.

weird
Sat Jan 22, 2005, 08:39 AM
I agree with Tebs, cloudy eye is probably due to poor water conditions which could be due to over-crowding or over feeding. Increase your percentage and number of water changes. If your over feeding ... cut back on the amount.

chris_d
Mon Jan 24, 2005, 09:31 AM
i have check the stats of my tank

nitrate 0.1-2
nitrite 0
Ammonia 0

today the discus has started to show more signs of distress as it has gone darker and one of its pectorial fins were clamped up.

i often treat with salt whenever i do a water change at 1-2 tbsp per gallon already, but i think i will cut down on the water change and stop the treatment of metro from today since i haven't seen any improvement and that medication of metro should have worked quickly had i been dealing with hex. But i think hex is not the cause in this case.
For all i know its an internal parasite problem.

My local lfs at lams parramatta suggested i use this "safeguard" product that induces slime coat and has a mild antiseptic...