PDA

View Full Version : Diet Problems

Boyam
Mon Dec 29, 2008, 01:47 AM
My fish are aggressive eaters. i walk near the tank and they stare and follow me around; they eat out of my hangs. but they will never eat anything but blood worms... its so frustrating i have tried everything (beef heart, discus bio-gold, tetra bits, tetra flakes, mysis shrimp, and other dry foods). anything, besides the bloodworm, is left on the bottom until it needs to be vac'd. they did eat the mysis shrimp, but very unwillingly.

I need some help on this bad habit they have, probably because of me. Im afraid they will lose weight, color, shape, strength, and lower their immune system (the list goes on); if they continue to eat just worms.

ILLUSN
Mon Dec 29, 2008, 01:57 AM
starve the fish for 24hrs, no food nothing! after that try introducing what ever you want them to eat, beefheart mix is usually best. offer a little from your hand, as much as they eat in a minute. repeat this morning and night for a week, by that time they will be use to the taste and you can offer a little more. try and stay away from bloodworms for a full month just so they dont fall back into their old habit.

Boyam
Mon Dec 29, 2008, 02:45 AM
Okay i wont feed them for a day (poor fishes). :cry:

After that i will place some beef heart in the tank twice a day: once in the morning, and once at night. Im going to try to make my own b/h mix :twisted:. I will use one of the stickies.

thanks! wish me luck - picky buggers.

ILLUSN
Mon Dec 29, 2008, 02:54 AM
DONT LEAVE THE FOOD IN THERE!
beef heart if left uneaten will foul your water, remove it 20 min after you've offerd it.

Boyam
Mon Dec 29, 2008, 07:08 AM
Okay. i hope they eat it all thought. to help me and them >.<