PDA

View Full Version : My tank is on it's way

lpiasente
Sun Dec 28, 2008, 09:10 AM
Whooooo Hoooooooo, I have been waiting for hubby to get some time to build me a stand for my 4x2x2, waiting 3 months actually, but he has been busy. Today he put in some new stumps and beams under the house to support the weight of the tank as we are quite high off the ground. Hopefully on New years day I will be filling it up. Yay

Hollowman
Sun Dec 28, 2008, 11:27 AM
Photos Leanne, photos :lol:

lpiasente
Sun Dec 28, 2008, 07:56 PM
It's too exciting, my fish will love it. I feel like a girl in a candy store. I will post some pics when there is something to look at. Mind you it won't be anything like some of the beautiful tanks I see here. It will be very simple.

lpiasente
Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:28 AM
It's in. Soooooooooooo excited. I now will sit and stare for the next week at it just with water until I decide how to scape it. I have several pieces of driftwood and some nice rock but I have to decide which to use.

lpiasente
Mon Jan 05, 2009, 09:57 PM
I couldn't wait for the week so I added some gravel,arranged rocks and driftwood added dino dung to the gravel and filled it up with water. I was going to add plants today but the driftwood all lifted last night. BUGGER I forgot to soak it. :lol: :lol:. So now I have to wait anyway. I hate waiting I WANT IT NOW :) (someone is spoilt)

AHC
Mon Jan 05, 2009, 11:33 PM
Heeeeey congratulations. Cant wait to see some photos. :)

lpiasente
Tue Jan 06, 2009, 04:01 AM
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn175/lpiasente/DSCF2966.jpg
This is the baisc lay out. I will put the filter in tonight so it clears and I can actually see what it looks like. I will then work from there with all the advice I can get. I really want it to be very simple for the discus. More about the fish than the plants. I have stuck with green plants hoping to highlight the reds in my fish. I really don't know what I am talking about so please tell me if I am wrong.

AHC
Tue Jan 06, 2009, 04:08 AM
Hia,

Simple is good. Its closer to their biotype then lots of plants. Driftwood, rocks, sand is typical biotype. Some beautiful reds will look nice in there.

I personally set out to have a simple natural biotype tank but am now keen on trying planted discus tank first (it will be challenging). Then I will eventually resort to a biotype tank when i get into wilds.

Im happy for you. keep the pics coming as you progress with layout etc.

lpiasente
Tue Jan 06, 2009, 04:32 AM
Hi Aaron, It's so no where near complete I have only planted one side. It is just to get the idea of what I am after. I have made a cloudy mess and now can't see what I am doing anyway. I have some crypts that are red but not quite sure where to put them. I wonder if they are too soft to look at compared to the rush. If you could see through all the clouded mess it really looks like a modern garden with grass plants and rock. I will post a pic tomorrow when it is clear and get some suggestions. Thanks

Hollowman
Tue Jan 06, 2009, 06:28 PM
Looks great Leanne,

Can I ask is you are going to use a pre-seeded filter so you can add fish soon or have you got to cycle it?

Steve

lpiasente
Tue Jan 06, 2009, 08:08 PM
I have 2 x 2217 all cycled and ready to go.

Hollowman
Tue Jan 06, 2009, 08:39 PM
sweeeet!! :lol:

lpiasente
Fri Jan 09, 2009, 05:34 AM
With the tank being 4x2x2 and only adding 8 discus, 1 med and the rest just small ones, 4 harlequins I knife fish and 2 bristlenose and 2 x 2217 ehiem filters how many water changes and how much will I need to change ? I currently do 50% once a day of every second day on my 3ft.

Hollowman
Fri Jan 09, 2009, 04:42 PM
I would probably do 33% 3 times a week on there. Maybe more, but I don't do plants, so I don't know how that will affect them, ILLUSN is the plant guru.

H

lpiasente
Fri Jan 09, 2009, 09:55 PM
Ok, thanks. I am now down to 7 as I got the little heckle stuck under the driftwood when I was trying to take it out and he died. I was trying to take it out so I didn't get them stuck or them swim into it and get hurt.

Hollowman
Fri Jan 09, 2009, 11:37 PM
:cry:

lpiasente
Mon Jan 12, 2009, 09:42 AM
I have added both filters but I am not quite sure where to angle to spray bars. I have one facing down and one skimming across the surface. Is that ok?. My discus love the tank and are so active. They really love pecking around on the rocks. I will take a pic tomorrow.