PDA

View Full Version : possible 90 gal tankmates, need final thoughts.

Boyam
Sat Dec 20, 2008, 01:18 AM
planted 90 gallon; 200gal wet/dry, co2.

5-6 discus
3 SAE's
15 neons
5 otos
2 white pearl scale angels
4 blue rams
4-5 cory's (undecided on type)

Thoughts? Number changes? additional fish?

gogo!

ILLUSN
Sat Dec 20, 2008, 04:41 AM
drop the angels, rams might be ok, but have a seperate tank ready incase they fall sick

Boyam
Sat Dec 20, 2008, 03:19 PM
if rams are a hassle ill go rainbows than, so a school of rainbows :roll:

ILLUSN
Sat Dec 20, 2008, 11:26 PM
raindows are mainly vegetarian fish where as all your others (bar the SAE's) are carnivours, so i wouldn't put rainbows in either, also rainbows are VERY good swimmers and will eat the food before your discus get to it.

Boyam
Sun Dec 21, 2008, 02:51 AM
lol i just cant win can i

ILLUSN
Sun Dec 21, 2008, 04:19 AM
whats wrong with
5-6 discus
3 SAE's
15 neons
5 otos
4-5 cory's (undecided on type)

would still look like a great tank and your discus would have that little more room, you could maybe add in 10 glow light tetras if you wanted some more snack fish for your discus.

Boyam
Mon Dec 22, 2008, 01:13 AM
i suppose i will... just wanted something to mix it up.

Boyam
Thu Dec 25, 2008, 02:55 AM
are the Bolivian Rams tougher than the Blue Rams? my main focus is discus i don't want to have to worry about rams :-p

personally i don't mind having no rams at all, but, my mum wants another "pretty" fish other than discus.

suppose a severum would be wicked... may cause havoc though. sigh.

stan
Thu Dec 25, 2008, 10:15 PM
Ive got blue rams and balloon rams in 2 different tanks with discus and have never had any trouble great fish.

Boyam
Fri Dec 26, 2008, 05:03 AM
well according to Dr foster & Smith: Blue Rams are more difficult care level than Bolivian Rams.

Now, im not too sure on how true this is. So i think im going to give Blues a try... since they are slightly more attractive.

anyone have any final input on care level required of these two types of rams?

ILLUSN
Fri Dec 26, 2008, 07:32 AM
speaking from a purley aussie perspective the imported rams we get here tend to be a little on the delicate side, if you've got nice bloodlines in the US you'll proably have much better luck with them.

care isn't the problem its more disease.

Boyam
Thu Jan 08, 2009, 07:38 PM
i can not find any sterbai i want to cry. also my otos / gib aren't eating string algae i am afraid it will get out of control in a few weeks.

other than that underthings looking swell. my plants are jsut starting to have new growth.

ILLUSN
Thu Jan 08, 2009, 10:24 PM
please don't tell me you put a gibbi in there

Boyam
Fri Jan 09, 2009, 02:50 AM
well its a pleco of some sort. i think it is a Sailfin Gibbiceps Plecostomus.

why have a made a boo boo? hes not very quick; i can catch him :twisted:

ILLUSN
Fri Jan 09, 2009, 03:39 AM
lol my last gibbi was over 46 cm long (18 inches) and ate all plants down to the ground, even java fern which "no fish eat" they also crap more than they eat.

beutiful fish though i do miss them heres the last photos i took

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13576

these are probably the worlds most unsuitable fish for a planted tank.

Boyam
Fri Jan 09, 2009, 03:54 AM
O.O

i will have to remove him shortly i guess. he is growing so quick! 3 weeks and he is about 5 in now, he was about 3 in.

Boyam
Thu Jan 15, 2009, 05:18 PM
one of my rummy nose have enormous eyes compared to his head. they have all grown a lot. but the one looks just like this : :shock: . is this trouble; bulging eyes?

DiscusEden
Fri Jan 16, 2009, 04:52 AM
It could be. I tend to take the conservative approach now and figure that it's worth sacrificing one to stop the rest from getting sick. But that's just me.