PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take for babies to colour up

jimmyg
Thu Dec 18, 2008, 12:16 AM
My babies are a fair age know and I am wondering how old do they get before they start to fully colour up. They were in a black background tank and showed really nice colours but I moved them into a bigger tank to grow them out as I have about 100+ but it has a light blue background and not showing there full colours.

They are bigger then a 50 cent piece, I will place some pics when I find my camera cord.

Thanks
Jimmy

jesx57
Thu Dec 18, 2008, 12:55 AM
It really depends on your waterchange regime and the types of food you feed them. Young discus need high protein foods in order to grow properly. The colour of the tank they are in will always affect the colours they show. A dark background will always accentuate your fishes colours, but be careful if you have dark substrate and discus strains such as pigeon blood, they'll start to pepper. If there is plants and such in the aquarium and driftwood, your fish may show their stress stripes, not necessarily because they are stressed, but they are trying to blend in with their environment. I suspect it would be the same if you had a dark background and substrate.

mistakes r crucial
Tue Dec 23, 2008, 07:04 AM
Make natural Astaxanthin a part of their diet and you'll find they'll grow faster, be healthier and have far better colours within 2 weeks. IMO it's a must have for all tank bred fish. They sell far better too.
Cheers
MAC