PDA

View Full Version : Fluval FX5 for Reef Ready 90 G Tank

ameshkov
Tue Dec 16, 2008, 03:06 AM
I upgraded my 46 G to 90 G (I have African Cichlids) and my Rena X3 does not clear it well enough. I consider Fluval X5. Is it a good choice?

Also new tank is reef ready. I'm wondering if it was right choice or I rather need to put tube outside and suck water as close to the bottom as possible?

THANK YOU for any advice!

Andrew

Tommo
Sat Dec 20, 2008, 09:31 AM
I upgraded my 46 G to 90 G (I have African Cichlids) and my Rena X3 does not clear it well enough. I consider Fluval X5. Is it a good choice?

Also new tank is reef ready. I'm wondering if it was right choice or I rather need to put tube outside and suck water as close to the bottom as possible?

THANK YOU for any advice!

Andrew

FX5 are good at turning water over due to the liters/hour, as a filter they are ok "depending on what sort of media you are using "

Cheers

ILLUSN
Sat Dec 20, 2008, 12:02 PM
i dont like fluvals they just dont have the build quality i expect for a filter of that price, in all honesty i prefer the aqua one aquis 2400 over the FX5 due to the media volume (you can cram heaps in a 2400.

if all you want to do is clear the water the FX5 does have excellent mechanical filtration, and does turn over ALOT of water, again i wouldn't buy 1 cause of reliability issues but some people seem to think they are fine so you could be lucky.

for the money and quality its hard to beat 2 eheim 2217's i have some of these from the mid 80's that are still going solid.

Tommo
Sat Dec 20, 2008, 12:08 PM
i dont like fluvals they just dont have the build quality i expect for a filter of that price, in all honesty i prefer the aqua one aquis 2400 over the FX5 due to the media volume (you can cram heaps in a 2400.

if all you want to do is clear the water the FX5 does have excellent mechanical filtration, and does turn over ALOT of water, again i wouldn't buy 1 cause of reliability issues but some people seem to think they are fine so you could be lucky.

for the money and quality its hard to beat 2 eheim 2217's i have some of these from the mid 80's that are still going solid.

So 2300 ltrs/hour is not alot for a discus tank ?

ameshkov
Sat Dec 20, 2008, 03:55 PM
That you for the information. Actually I already bought by now Fluval and plan to install it today. I''ll keep you posted about the qulity.

The question remains - should I put the input inside "reef ready" chamber or outside?

Tommo
Sat Dec 20, 2008, 09:42 PM
Sorry ILLUSN , a couple of typo's there :)
i meant to say 2300 liters/hour is alot for a discus tank!