PDA

View Full Version : sick puppy

lpiasente
Sun Dec 14, 2008, 05:28 AM
I came home last weekend to find my little 11 year old jack russell not looking to well. Thinking he had an upset tummy I kept him in overnight and made an appointment at the vet for that afternoon. By lunchtime he was non responsive and breathing very heavily so I had to rush him in to the nearest vet. At first it was thought to be a gastro but tests later found he had pancriatitis(spelling) and was diabetic. Not good at all. After a few days in hospital not thinking he would make it the tough little man was able to come home but is now an insulin diabetic requiring 2 needles a day. Huge life style changes for both family and k9 family. Now I am house training an 11 year old leg cocking doggy to not pee or poop in the house???? He is doing ok now that all the fluids from the drip are no longer in his baldder. Anyone else here had experience with diabetic dog? Any advice?

TW
Sun Dec 14, 2008, 09:20 AM
Sorry to hear about your dog's close call. I wish I had advice to offer, but I don't. Just best wishes for his recovery & with the learning curve of living with the condition.

lpiasente
Tue Dec 30, 2008, 08:56 AM
House training was a nightmare and didn't eventuate. He tried to dominate the kids with some growling and being snappy so outside he went again. He is doing well but still lots of trips to the vet until his blood sugar levels stabalize. I didn't realise it was such a common thing in cats, dogs and birds. On another fish forum I am on one of the members there had a cockatiel with diabeties and it had to wear a bird nappy :shock: did you know there was such a thing?

TW
Tue Dec 30, 2008, 11:58 AM
Yes, I knew of them. I've seen them for sale, with adds saying put this on your bird & you can have him out of his cage for longer.

I cannot imagine my bird allowing me to put a bird nappy on him. You can get leads for birds too, so they can fly while you go for a walk. Again, my bird wouldn't allow that either.

Good luck with your poor dog. They do get all sorts of "human" diseases. I've had a dog die of leukaemia when I was a teenager. More recently, we had a dog pass away from cancer of the lymph nodes.

Steve-o
Sun Feb 08, 2009, 08:53 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I used to have a dog with diabetes. It's a lot of work but its worth it. She was a part of the family and for us there was no other option. After a little while it became routine for her and she was very cooperative of the whole process of getting needles and blood sugar tests... Goodluck with your dog lpiasente

lpiasente
Sun Feb 08, 2009, 09:25 AM
Thanks. He is doing so well. He started off on 8 of insulin and now down to 4 and I am sure he will go down again this week.

Merrilyn
Mon Feb 09, 2009, 05:25 AM
Good luck, I'm so glad to hear he's coping with the medication.

lpiasente
Mon Feb 09, 2009, 08:59 AM
Thanks. He doesn't even try and bite me anymore. :D

TW
Mon Feb 09, 2009, 09:31 AM
That's good news.