PDA

View Full Version : old tank to new tank: quarantine *updated*

Boyam
Thu Dec 11, 2008, 06:58 AM
my neighbor and i both have discus and are about to start a quarantine before we put them into their new tanks. we will be putting 5 discus (about 3-4in) in a 10 gallon w/ a sponge filter and overhang filter. we are giving Jungle Labs Internal Parasite Guard a try; along with the food that goes along w/ treatment. its suppose to be a all in one kinda deal. treatment will last 3-4 days according to bottle. keep in mind these are fish we have had, just putting them into larger - new tanks.

before we do this just wanted to make sure there were no objections or suggestions. we are still new hobbyist.

thanks!

Hollowman
Sat Dec 13, 2008, 04:59 PM
I don't understand :? where are these new fish coming from? and where are they going ?

Boyam
Sat Dec 13, 2008, 08:58 PM
discus in smaller tank ---> bigger tank all together.

Boyam
Sat Dec 13, 2008, 09:09 PM
Well, we attempted to treat the fish but ran into a major problem. the r/o water we put them in had a PH above 8.0... we have bought water from this pet store for ages and it has always been a steady 6.5-6.9. and it is suppose to be monitored by machinery.

well w/o thinking of testing the PH we put them into this mess and lost 2/4 within a day. one recovered the other is not likely to live but is holding on. they were fine all through the night but later in the day after work i came home to them struggling in perfect water perimeters... except the PH. this is when we found out that the r.o was dangerously high.

we went to the store and brought back the water still left in the containers and let them test the PH... they were shocked and wondering how it could of happened. im still not sure if they even believed it. well they promised to give us new fish - not that makes everything swell... very upsetting to lose fish you have had for quite some time to a silly mistake of PH. i will never not test my PH of r/o water ever again.

RIP my friends 8*( :cry:

lpiasente
Sun Dec 14, 2008, 05:14 AM
That's awful for you and the fish. I'm sorry :(

Hollowman
Sun Dec 14, 2008, 11:03 AM
Thats a shame that you lost your fish. The lfs should be checking in the first place before selling it. It might be worth the investment in your own unit. Mine paid for it'self in a few weeks.

Boyam
Sat Dec 27, 2008, 02:57 AM
here is the surviving fish, with a question.

pink66
Sat Dec 27, 2008, 07:31 AM
I am no expert, but if you have a look at my album you will see Finn. When I got her her fins were almost non-existent. Now they have grown amazingly. (that is how she got her name)

Also in the Andrew Soh book he shows how to cut off fins for them to regrow.. So if I was a "betting" woman, I would say in time the fin will return.

I have my fingers crossed for Rambo :) :)