PDA

View Full Version : First timer

AHC
Tue Dec 09, 2008, 01:59 AM
Decided to flood the lounge room floor last night. :x

Was filling the tank back up and while the tank was filling up was cleaning the filter outside. Walked back inside and found about 80l soaking into the carpet. Could have been worse but i still gave myself an uppercut.

Then, i decided to flood the ouside cupboard whilst filling up the water barrel as i got stuck into cleaning up the soaked carpet and forgot about it. Luck i didnt get water into the powerboards on both occasions. Very lucky considering i havent made measures to screw them up higher.

Im usually great at multi tasking :roll:

pink66
Tue Dec 09, 2008, 03:24 AM
Hi Aaron,

has it been long enough for you to laugh about it yet ?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: good touch giving yourself a uppercut 8-) That should teach you a lesson :wink:

I swear you only do it once mine came down to this:

- flooding the cabinet via the sump with 150 ltrs water - blonde
- having to dismantle almost the whole setup to get at the water trapped under the cabinet and subsequent cleanup - 5 whole hours and every towel in the house
- ensuring the next time that you have turned on the stop tap so when the outlet falls into the water un-noticed it does not matter - PRICELESS

maybe we could get others to share as I am sure these are not isolated incidents :shock: :banghead

ILLUSN
Tue Dec 09, 2008, 03:28 AM
While were on topic i flood my fish room religiously every 8 weeks must have something to do with a male cycle or something last time was 1100L's

AHC
Tue Dec 09, 2008, 03:33 AM
HAHAHA Gee hey! Ive heard of stories over the last 4 years and i guess thats why i have always been like a hawk. 1100L takes the cake. i'd die! Ha

iro11a
Tue Dec 09, 2008, 10:33 AM
Would be handy to have a fish room set up with floor wastes and a concrete slab falling towards to drains,1100 litres is a crazy amount of water sounds like the june floods inside your house :lol:

ILLUSN
Tue Dec 09, 2008, 10:46 PM
1100 isn't that much, i'm changing 800-1000L/day all it really did was wash down the fish room floor and annoy the wife :)

carnival
Tue Dec 09, 2008, 11:03 PM
reading this thread takes me back quite a few years to when I bought my first 6 foot tank, I was still at High School and must have been 16 or 17. I was doing a routine water change and had filled several buckets so stopped the siphon and hung it over the side of the tank while I took the buckets outside to water the garden. I got a bit distracted, like teenagers do, and finally went back inside to find the tank half empty, the lounge room carpet soaking wet and the air pump sucking up water, the siphon had started up again somehow. Of course water had soaked into the power board causing all the fuses to blow.
What a mess, worse was still to come when I had to try and explain to Mum and Dad what had happened. Needless to say the tank had to go, I managed to sell it to a friends sister who had a large collection of catfish...the story doesn't end there!. A few months later my friend told me that his sister and her husband woke one morning to find the base of the tank had cracked and the tank was completely empty and all over their lounge room carpet. Turned out that their floor was uneven and the weight of water, gravel rocks etc was just too much and the tank gave way.
Would love to hear similar stories, I'm sure there are many.
Cheers
Peter

AHC
Tue Dec 09, 2008, 11:32 PM
:lol: its terrible for me to laugh but its a good story. i hope you see the funny side of it now. Funny story - Lessons learnt!

Im tripple checking my tank level when i get home. I had raised one end with little wood pieces to get it level. hope thats enough.

carnival
Wed Dec 10, 2008, 01:06 AM
:lol: its terrible for me to laugh but its a good story. i hope you see the funny side of it now. Funny story - Lessons learnt!

Im tripple checking my tank level when i get home. I had raised one end with little wood pieces to get it level. hope thats enough.

Yes I can see the funny side of it now, even Mum and Dad laughed about it later. I don't know how long I was grounded for but at the time I thought it was a life sentence...lol
Cheers
Peter