PDA

View Full Version : Advice on fake 3D rock backgrounds

broady1
Mon Dec 01, 2008, 01:22 AM
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has a fake 3D rock background in a Discus tank. Do you recomend them. If so I live on the gold coast. Does anyone know where I can get a good quality one from ?
Thanks,
Broady.

jesx57
Mon Dec 01, 2008, 04:12 AM
Yeah. I've got one. I made it myself from Styrofoam, with sand on top then painted it grey and black. But I can't stick it inside my tank, only on the outside, otherwise my fish would be belly up! :). There's some got DIY websites on making your own, but I have seen premolded and painted ones. I've seen ones made by Jebo and Aqua One. You live at the Gold Coast, so you should have some pretty good petshops around there, you should try them out for a start.

Hollowman
Mon Dec 01, 2008, 11:12 PM
From the ones I have seen, they are VERY expensive, and seriously reduce the space your fish have to swim.
Is your tank a bb or planted?

H

broady1
Mon Dec 01, 2008, 11:32 PM
Tank is 4x2x2 with some java fern and black gravel. Apparently you can get quite thin backgrounds about 4 inches wide ?

ILLUSN
Tue Dec 02, 2008, 01:35 AM
universal rocks make fake rock backgrounds that are about 8mm wide, i have 1 but I'm yet to install it.

rwel4809
Tue Dec 02, 2008, 01:37 AM
Unless you seal it in the tank with silicon, you will likely cause a dead patch behind it that can create a pocket of dirty water - a perfect environment for bad bacteria - leading to all manner of infections.

It reduces the space in the tank, and as we know the more water the better for discus.

Also, it would likely be a dark background that may lead to your Discus' darkening and PB's peppering..

On top of all that, they are really expensive...

I wouldn't bother if I were you...

And I would loose the black gravel in favour of some light coloured substrate, or even no substrate at all..

HTH
R

jesx57
Tue Dec 02, 2008, 01:52 AM
I have to agree, besides, they grow algae after a while and look feral.

broady1
Wed Dec 03, 2008, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the advice. I think I will give the rock background a miss. In relation to the black gravel I have noticed increased peppering in two of my discus. I think I will change it and give sand a go.