PDA

View Full Version : Discus + Arowanas?

GhostFish
Sat Nov 29, 2008, 09:41 PM
I've seen display tanks that housed 7 adult Arowanas with 8 adult Discus. My discus are around 3-5", and I want to add 2-3 Arowanas that are about 9 inches. Do you think this combination will work long term?

I think it might work considering Discus are mid to low level feeders and stay at the mid-bottom of the tank, while Arowanas are direct opposites. Anyone have seen or tried this setup?

Thanks.

jesx57
Sun Nov 30, 2008, 01:12 AM
Hmm... I don't know about that. Arowanas are predatory fishes and get huge, so I really depends on the size of your tank there. Despite being very expensive (saw two at my LFS a while ago, think around $150 upwards for a 20 cm specimen, although how can I talk, discus are expensive too), I just don't think it'll work, sorry. Because of their nature, I'd suspect they'd try to harass your discus. I think you'd better read this link first - http://www.arowana.com.sg/enjoy_arrowana.html . I'm not trying to put you off or anything, but you should probably do some ready first.

Fishontherun
Sun Nov 30, 2008, 04:36 AM
Arowanas are best kept alone. My friend tried discus + aro and the discus end up holed up in a corner, getting real depressed and he had to gave them to me :-))

GhostFish
Mon Dec 01, 2008, 06:05 AM
I'll leave the discus as is and get another tank for the Arowanas.

Thanks.

jesx57
Tue Dec 02, 2008, 01:48 AM
Good idea.

ILLUSN
Tue Dec 02, 2008, 06:02 AM
Just wondering are we talking american arowanas (silver/black) australian arowana (saratoga) or asian arowanas?

all are big hungry fish and need a lot of room, a 6x2x2 is ok for 1 australian arowana, and a little small for an american, how big a tank are you looking at for a few arrows?

taksan
Tue Dec 02, 2008, 10:43 AM
You cannot keep 2 or 3 arrows together.
Its either 5-8 or 1

GhostFish
Mon Dec 08, 2008, 02:49 AM
I have a 60 gallong grow out tank for the arowana but planning to buy a 300 gallon tank for the discus and arowana(s).

taksan, I was thinking about 1-3 arowanas but read that I need at least 7, so no arowanas+discus tank. I'll just leave things as is.

Heiko Bleher
Thu Dec 11, 2008, 02:27 PM
Hi,

this is Heiko Bleher and I wanted to underline what was asked before: what kind of arowana? From Australia, Asia, Africa or South America?

The only one which could be placed with discus is the South American silver arowana: Osteoglossum bicirrhosum - and if you have Heckel discus it must be Osteoglossum bicirrhosum, the black arowana with the latter.

But remember: arowanas grow very large and need a lot of free swimming room. (Also the discus, but they do not grow as large...). In general it is no problem if done as explained above, but have a large aquarium and do decoration accordingly and feed them very well...

Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy new Year,

from a collector

Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com

GhostFish
Sun Dec 14, 2008, 03:47 AM
Interesting. I'll research this further.

Thanks.

Escher
Mon Dec 29, 2008, 11:27 PM
Confirmed! I recently enquired about it whenI did see it at a LFS; I tought it was a saratoga, but the shop keeper said it was a silver arowana as the saratoga is too agrressive. :D