PDA

View Full Version : Proven Pair eating eggs after several successful breedings

jeff8428
Thu Nov 27, 2008, 03:24 PM
I have a pair that have had over 200 babies on four different spawnings. The problem is now they have laid fertelized eggs five times and ate the eggs after a couple of days every time. Anyone had this problem. seems wierd that they have done it right four times , taking care of the spawn and everything. They did eat them when they first paired up which is natural. I figured that after doing it right four times the eating eggs deal was over. Anyone have this happen before. Hate to have to put a screen around the eggs after I didn't have to the first four times. Do you think they will go back to getting it right on their own? APPRECIATE ANY HELP OR IDEAS YOU HAVE

ILLUSN
Thu Nov 27, 2008, 10:42 PM
once they lay remove the female and let the male raise them on his own.

the female wants to lay again and so will remove the previuos eggs so the male will tend to the new batch, if you have a spare male you can use him to "service" her in a seperate tank one she's removed from her old mate.

jeff8428
Fri Nov 28, 2008, 12:29 AM
Just wondering why she had nevedr done this before. Before they had four batches of fry in a row without eating any of the eggs. Seems weird they just started all of a sudden. Wondering what might have changed.

ILLUSN
Fri Nov 28, 2008, 02:06 AM
They do it every now and then, my female red turk has also picked up the habit, the male will be fine raising the fry on his own just keep up the baby brine shrimp as often as you can, 4-6 feeds a day helps, by 7days free swimming the fry should be picking beefheart off the sponge filter and spending less time with the male (giving his sides and fins a bit of chance :) )

Griffin
Fri Nov 28, 2008, 03:03 PM
I had pair like that. they stopped for 6 month . so i put them in the community tank but still they hang around together so later on i put them back to breeding tank then they are doing good again
I just give some time to them whether they are eating eggs or not.

cheers.