PDA

View Full Version : best way to collect rain water?

basketcase
Thu Nov 27, 2008, 02:58 PM
i have a 2000L rain water tank that collects water from a tiled roof with a guttering system. the water from this tank isnt exactly clear. it has a fair few dirt particles floating around in it.

is there any way i can filter this water before it goes in the tank to make it suitable or is there another way to collect rain water?

Hollowman
Thu Nov 27, 2008, 07:15 PM
I know you guys probably don't get so much rain as we do in the UK, but I wouldn't use rain water. Too many risks for me, chemicals in the air, acid rain etc

ILLUSN
Thu Nov 27, 2008, 10:34 PM
In oz i'd take rain water over tap water any day of the week, its softer with 0 kh and a gh below 2 degrees, the ph of rainwater in penrith is 5.9 which is perfect for disus and theres no chlorine or flouride.

Uk may have more problems with pollution, but in penrith which get all sydneys smog as it just sits at the base of the mountain my fish always did better on rain water then tap water. install a water tank and dont look back!

Matt15
Wed Dec 03, 2008, 08:46 AM
With a quick google search I found this website and many others for filtering products/ideas. Many of these are pretty standard though which you proberly already have. A fine coarse mesh might help alittle if not already in place.
http://www.enter-shop.com.au/catalogue/c2/c13?page=1

I totally agree that tiled roofs leave grit and also fine particles of dust etc in your water. I too have a tiled roof but my 5000L tank runs off my patio/deck area which is corrugated iron. Corrugated iron is nice and clean and doesn't have that same grit buildup.

The only other idea I can think of is to have your tiles professionally cleaned or DIY with a high powered Gerni gun OR using some sort of spunge. A spunge will slow down the flow rate but would certainly filter the really small particles.

+1 for rain water... my discus do exceptionally well in it.

HTH

aussieorchid
Sun Dec 07, 2008, 11:25 AM
If you are worried about the grit and dirt in the rain water why not run it through a water filter before you use it. You can get those large ones from bunnings that can have a garden hose fitting attached to them and run the water through before it goes into the tank.

Doug Osborn
Sun Dec 07, 2008, 11:50 AM
There are also many 'first flush' devices around (zero maintenance). Try googling 'first flush' and you'll find many.

Cheers,
Doug

Tommo
Sat Dec 20, 2008, 09:26 AM
i have a 2000L rain water tank that collects water from a tiled roof with a guttering system. the water from this tank isnt exactly clear. it has a fair few dirt particles floating around in it.

is there any way i can filter this water before it goes in the tank to make it suitable or is there another way to collect rain water?

I would test your rain water before adding it to the tank :)