PDA

View Full Version : White Jelly..

Tracey73
Mon Nov 24, 2008, 07:06 AM
Hi Everyone.. Today I did my routine clean out of my tank and an hour after finishing I noticed my snow white passing a whiteish, clear jelly looking discharge. He is eating like a piggy, swimming around like his normal self and I have had no problems with him at all.. Tank parameters all good.. ph 6.8. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5, temp 30.
I have metro on hand.. should I isolate him and start treatment?

Its now 9.30pm and I have been watching him for the last few hours. He is acting a bit shy, he did eat some dinner but his certainly not his normal self, usually he nearly jumps out the tank at dinner time but tonight it was very subdued.. have attached some pics.

Tracey73
Mon Nov 24, 2008, 10:20 PM
Someone???

Things have gotten worse overnight, his now staying in the back of the tank, did not eat breakfast and the white stuff his still passing and its about 2.5 inches long now.

m.ingram
Tue Nov 25, 2008, 02:17 AM
Hey Tracy sounds like your fish has worms.Im no expert put i would try prazi or big L first.

TW
Tue Nov 25, 2008, 02:26 AM
Re: Prazi & Big L (levamisole), there is a sticky in the forum with hints, etc.

Tank should be in darkness, as levamisole is light sensitive - not sure if Prazi is, but I cover my tank anyway.

Week 1: Big L - Water change after 48hrs
Week 2: Prazi - Water change after 48hrs
Week 3: Prazi - Water change after 48hrs
Week 4: Big L - Water change after 48hrs

There are other tips in the sticky, such as cleaning filter, so best to check it out.

Good luck

ozarowana
Tue Nov 25, 2008, 03:05 AM
I'd say it was hex and needs treatment with metro. Since it's still eating you can mix the metro into the food. You will use a lot less metro and it will work better.

Tracey73
Tue Nov 25, 2008, 04:38 AM
Thanks everyone! I do worm my guys with Big L and I have had a really bad experience with prazi so I am very hesitant in using it again.. I am thinking maybe metro is the go but need to be 100% sure!

zar
Tue Nov 25, 2008, 05:18 AM
I'm with ozarowana, its hex. had a similar thing once, some discus gurus suggested it was a protozoa infection, worms don't look like that.
Treat with metro.

Boyam
Thu Nov 27, 2008, 02:28 AM
One of my fish had these exact symptoms and unfortunately died to it: during my attempts of treating something no one was certain about.

Id like to know specifically what it is too; Hex or worms?

and let us know how the treatment goes!

Tracey73
Thu Nov 27, 2008, 10:20 AM
One of my fish had these exact symptoms and unfortunately died to it: during my attempts of treating something no one was certain about.

Id like to know specifically what it is too; Hex or worms?

and let us know how the treatment goes!

Well after getting mixed advice I went to one of the great gurus on here :lol: and was advised to try levimasole first. Appears to not have worked as he is still passing the same white jelly looking stuff 48 hours later.. looks like metro is the next step, but I am hesitant as I have not used metro before and the first time I used Prazi it turned my stunning pigeon discus into a stunted, peppered anorexic mess :( Very nervous as to whether I should give him a couple more days or start metro now?

ILLUSN
Thu Nov 27, 2008, 11:33 AM
start the metro, the longer you leave it the worse it is! dosage is 25mg/L every 48hrs for 3 treatments with a 30-50% water change before each treatment.

is he eating again yet?

pink66
Thu Nov 27, 2008, 12:30 PM
do we know if water parameters are in good condition, what is it that causes this problem.. ????

pink66
Thu Nov 27, 2008, 12:30 PM
do we know if water parameters are in good condition, what is it that causes this problem.. ????

Tracey73
Fri Nov 28, 2008, 11:04 AM

Water parameters are in great condition, believe me no expense or care is spared when it comes to my fish, being an ex vet nurse I am extremely diligent and particular when it comes to my pets :wink:
Would love to know myself what has caused this :roll:

Have taken Illusn's advice and have started metro treatment.

pink66
Sat Nov 29, 2008, 03:04 AM
sorry tracey73, i should have expanded on my thought.. :oops: I was sure your tank was in tip top condition it is just that with all the care we take of our discus, I was just wonering where stuff like this comes from..

but looking at that question, i suppose the answer is like "how long is a piece of string"

keep us upto date on the fishies progress.. :wink:

Tracey73
Wed Dec 03, 2008, 10:47 AM
Thanks everyone on your input :wink: He is all good :D Levimasole did not fix the problem but the metro certainly did. He is back to his normal bossy self and eating again :wink:

pink66
Wed Dec 03, 2008, 02:35 PM
I am glad he is feeling better :D