PDA

View Full Version : Keeping breeding tank clean

Mickey_owen7
Sun Nov 23, 2008, 08:30 AM
Hey guys, i'm breeding discus in a bare bottom tank. I read that the tank needs to be spotless, but everytime i try to clean it (after spawning), the parents attack me furiously. Any way i can clean the tank without disturbing the parents?

Hollowman
Sun Nov 23, 2008, 03:50 PM
No, I think that you need to get the parent fish conditioned to you doing your regular maintenance in the tank. Ok, so they might nip at you as a defence, but if they are doing this and not eating the eggs, you are half way there already. They will get used to it in the end. You will have to wipe down the sides of the tank too with kitchen paper to remove a slime build up as well as the bottom.

Mickey_owen7
Sun Nov 23, 2008, 08:20 PM
THanks heaps

DIY
Mon Nov 24, 2008, 12:00 PM
Mine get so used to the daily routine, I slowly put my hand in one end and they move all the fry to the opposite end while I clean the end I put my hand in.

Once I'm done I wait a minute or so, often they will start to move to the clean end on their own.. if they don't - I slowly put my hand in the dirty end... and they slowly herd all the fry back to the opposite end I have already cleaned, allowing me to finish without stress :wink:

DIY
Mon Nov 24, 2008, 12:04 PM
I should also mention, while they are tending to eggs, I leave that end of the tank alone so as not to stress them. I figure a few days of slime and algae etc at one end isn't too much of a problem, after they go free swimming I give that end a good clean up.

Mickey_owen7
Mon Nov 24, 2008, 12:06 PM
Oh... so you have to let them associate you as someone who feeds and cleans. Is it actually that important to keep the tank spotless?? Do you just siphon off the debris or do you actually scrub the bottom?? Thanks

DIY
Mon Nov 24, 2008, 12:28 PM
I Siphon off leftover food and poop everyday as part of the w/c, and give the sides and bottom a gentle scrub with a plastic scouring pad to clean off gunk and algae every few days.

Mickey_owen7
Mon Nov 24, 2008, 12:48 PM
Ok, i'll try that. Thanks

Hollowman
Mon Nov 24, 2008, 08:03 PM
Totally agree with DIY, of course, you must be gentle with them and they will be fine, try not to startle them. Keeping them clean at this stage is paramount.

Check out DIY's Fry Timeline in the Photo Section, it answers many of your questions and shows you how it should be done.

H

DIY
Tue Nov 25, 2008, 07:44 AM
Aww shucks :oops:

I think H means my thread in the Breeding section :wink:

Mickey_owen7
Tue Nov 25, 2008, 07:48 AM
Thanks

jimmyg
Tue Nov 25, 2008, 11:04 AM
Totally agree with DIY, of course, you must be gentle with them and they will be fine, try not to startle them. Keeping them clean at this stage is paramount.

Check out DIY's Fry Timeline in the Photo Section, it answers many of your questions and shows you how it should be done.

HI cant find this can some one place the link

DIY
Tue Nov 25, 2008, 11:48 AM
At the risk of seeming like shameless self promotion... :roll:

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17743