PDA

View Full Version : Discus Fry not finding parents

Mickey_owen7
Sun Nov 23, 2008, 08:09 AM
Hey everyone, i've got a pair of marlboro reds who have been breeding for me. The fry don't find the parents after they become free swimming and often perish. I've tried lowering water levels, but that only works after 90% of fry have starved. Any suggestions??? Thanks

bartek
Sun Nov 23, 2008, 09:50 PM
What colour is you tank and substrate?

Hollowman
Sun Nov 23, 2008, 10:51 PM
if you haven't already, remove anything in the tank that is dark, even put a white stocking over your sponge filter. Lower the water level to just above the tallest fish.
Now tell us about your tank setup please.

H

Mickey_owen7
Mon Nov 24, 2008, 06:31 AM
Ok, I've got a bare bottom tank, spawning cone (terracotta color), heater and i use a canister filter which i have wrapped the input end with very fine white cloth, so the fry can't get sucked in. I have the light on almost 24/7. I've tried using pink light or white light, but don't know which one is more suitable. Thanks.

I was thinking maybe something wrong with water so i got an RO unit today.

Mickey_owen7
Mon Nov 24, 2008, 06:33 AM
Oh yeah, the tank is just a plain glass one, bout 70cmX40cmx45cm
I've also tried white paper on the glass.

cheers

Hollowman
Mon Nov 24, 2008, 07:58 PM
Sounds like you are doing it all right, I would also remove the cone too.
Sometimes, a batch just wont attach. An RO unit will not necessarily answer your water issues, but water quality must be exemplary at all times.

H

bartek
Mon Nov 24, 2008, 09:37 PM
So saying all that what colour is the bottom of the tank?

Mickey_owen7
Tue Nov 25, 2008, 07:45 AM
The colour of the bottome is half white and half newspaper (so like ink words and a couple of pictures). Should i make the bottom fully white??? One last question, how bout lighting?? The pair are marlboro reds.

Mickey_owen7
Tue Nov 25, 2008, 07:52 AM
Lol, i'm a real dummy. I got an RO filter. I think its 3 stage (sediment, carbon and then membrane). I've connected it up. There are 2 tubes that water comes out of, one is faster than the other. Which one is the clean/pure water and which one is the waste water??? Thanks

ILLUSN
Tue Nov 25, 2008, 10:11 AM
WASTE WATER IS FASTER FLOWING!
whats the rejection rate of the unit?

Mickey_owen7
Tue Nov 25, 2008, 10:30 AM
Where can i find the rejection rate???
But, i did a taste test. The slower water tasted like it had chemicals in it.
While the faster water had no taste (whether foul or pleasant).
I'm confused!!! :?:

Mickey_owen7
Tue Nov 25, 2008, 10:37 AM
BTWay, the filter is an aquapro, 3 stage filter. got it for $200. I would test the water to make sure, but the tap water in melbourne has 0 gH, 0 kH and pH of abou 7.5. I've only got test kits for pH, gH and kH. I'm assuming Nitrate wouldn't be high enough to pick up if i tested it.