PDA

View Full Version : New Discus

jwalker
Fri Nov 21, 2008, 07:22 PM
I just recently bought 2 female pigeon bloods to go into my tank. I already had 2 red turqoise which are very lively. My 2 females have been in the tank for about 3 days now but seem to stay in the back corner of the tank. Then i noticed one of my smaller red turqoise was terrorizing the other three. Should I give it a few more days to see if they adjust or should i take action. I just don't want him to stress the others especially my new arrivals due to the fact that they were delivered by mail and are already having to adjust.

Thanks

Hollowman
Fri Nov 21, 2008, 10:23 PM
Hi,

What about quarrentine?
Where did you buy them from?

jwalker
Fri Nov 21, 2008, 11:53 PM
I purchased them from a breeder. Rocky mountain discus hatchery. They are beautiful specimens, very healthy. I did not quarentine them though. How long should i try and let them adjust before i quarantine them?

thanks alot!!

Hollowman
Sat Nov 22, 2008, 12:08 AM
Quarentine should be done before you add new fish to existing stock. The reason you should always do this, is that you might have now introduced disease into your tank.
Rocky Mountain should have told you this. For now, just monitor all your fish for signs of stress, darkening or anything out of the ordinary. Post up any problems.

HTH

H

jwalker
Sat Nov 22, 2008, 12:15 AM
I see, what do suggest regarding the bullying??
thanks

Hollowman
Sun Nov 23, 2008, 12:24 AM
I see, what do suggest regarding the bullying??
thanks

Discus are Cichlids and therefore have a tendancy to bully or fight. Once there is some dort of heirarchical order is sorted things will calm down. Try feeding in opposite ends of the tank for now. They will settle in time, just watch for any damage to the bullied one.

hth

H