PDA

View Full Version : Heaters

Boyam
Tue Nov 18, 2008, 08:54 PM
couple weeks ago i bought a Jager 100w for my 29 gallon, i have it set to 93F and it sits at 80-82....I'm not impressed.

So any recommendations for a 90 gallon tank housing plants, tetra's, and Discus? i will be putting the heater in the pre drilled tank section that is in the fish tank its self; where there is plenty of water flow. Sorry i don't know the proper term. perhaps overflow box?

DIY
Wed Nov 19, 2008, 08:03 AM
I personally love the Hydor ETH external heaters, electronic control maintains a constant temperature (exact amount depends on the tank etc, but mine hold to within half a degree), easy to access adjustment knob that doesn't mean getting your hand in the water... but for some reason they aren't sold at many places and not many fish keepers seem to be even aware they exist.

If you aren't running a canister filter or external hoses at all though you will need to stick with the typical in-tank heater, for that I'll leave recommendations to others.

Boyam
Wed Nov 19, 2008, 02:10 PM
Ive considered, but, they seem hard to find. and Hydor says the 300w (the highest i could find) would not work properly for a 90 gallon "up to 80 gallons".

I have been looking at the new titanium heaters, they looks pretty leet
:twisted:

still need some more input! thoughts!

thanks!

Boyam
Thu Nov 20, 2008, 02:27 PM
no one has had any impressive heaters they would suggest?

Boyam
Thu Nov 20, 2008, 03:19 PM
couple weeks ago i bought a Jager 100w for my 29 gallon, i have it set to 93F and it sits at 80-82....I'm not impressed.

So any recommendations for a 90 gallon tank housing plants, tetra's, and Discus? i will be putting the heater in the pre drilled tank section that is in the fish tank its self; where there is plenty of water flow. Sorry i don't know the proper term. perhaps overflow box?

Just wanted to add another idea; perhaps doubling heaters? instead of a 300-400w maybe two 200? 150?

stan
Sat Nov 22, 2008, 10:47 PM
I agree the Hydor heaters work way better.

DIY
Sat Nov 22, 2008, 11:50 PM
Two heaters are a good way to go, if one fails the other can help maintain the temp.

You'll see a theme in my other choice of heater... I hate trying to adjust temp under water, plus I've had glass heaters crack on me :shock:

What I use in my 600litre tank (around 150 gallon) is 2 x 300w stainless steel heaters. They are sold on ebay from china :oops: usually as "titanium" but I don't believe that for second :lol: . Anyway they are cheap, have external electronic control units so are easy to adjust like the hydor's and keep the temp very stable. The last one I bought was an MX1000 model and I'm actually very impressed for the price :shock: the earlier ones I had bought (5 years ago) had sensors that failed and I threw them out just recently. As I say the last few I've bought seem to be much better built.

I haven't found a better quality version in Aus, but if I did that's what I'd buy - a good quality stainless steel heater with external electronic control. Given the choices you lucky aquariasts have in US, I'd be surprised if this isn't available :wink: :lol:

atti
Sun Nov 23, 2008, 06:53 AM
Hi,

I have a Jager 300 watt that has been going for 15 YEARS. They are the best. I believe that the heater you bought is too small in wattage. The Jagers are a little too optimistic when quoting recommended wattage for aquarium size. I would have purchased a 150 Watt for your size aquarium.

Jagers are great heaters, BUT you should buy slightly bigger than recommended.

Regards atti

AHC
Tue Nov 25, 2008, 01:58 AM
Jagers are great. It may just need to be recalibrated.

Boyam
Tue Dec 02, 2008, 05:53 PM
I haven't found a better quality version in Aus, but if I did that's what I'd buy - a good quality stainless steel heater with external electronic control. Given the choices you lucky aquariasts have in US, I'd be surprised if this isn't available :wink: :lol:

Actually i cant find any 300w + in any of the fish stores... i did find a 500w titanium heater in one but it was WAY overpriced. i think i will just have to check ebay/marinedepot/bigalsonline.

i plan on getting two 300w. everyone agree that's enough to keep a 90 gallon at discus temp in a home that is normally 74-78; possible in the high 60's in our short winter (cold fronts lol).

Hollowman
Tue Dec 02, 2008, 06:43 PM
I use 2- 300w AquaOne internal heaters for my 90 gallon tank. No problem about holding temp. Never had any issues with them.

hth

H

Boyam
Wed Dec 03, 2008, 02:26 AM
great, thanks everyone.

ILLUSN
Wed Dec 03, 2008, 03:24 AM
90GAL US= 360L.

generally with heater sizing you need 1w/L to raise and hold temp within bout 5C. i'd personally use 2 200w or 2 300w if you like over kill on a 360L.

Boyam
Wed Dec 03, 2008, 04:33 AM
90GAL US= 360L.

generally with heater sizing you need 1w/L to raise and hold temp within bout 5C. i'd personally use 2 200w or 2 300w if you like over kill on a 360L.

yay overkill!

pink66
Wed Dec 03, 2008, 09:55 AM
I am with the 2 x 300w - my 4x2x2 runs this way.. if one stops the other picks up the slack and you are then also not running the heater at full temp range..

I agree, yeah for overkill :wink: :wink:

Boyam
Thu Dec 11, 2008, 07:02 AM
Purchased a hydor: theo 400w. it amazingly accurate and keeping it steady on 86f.