PDA

View Full Version : set up 6x2x2 filtration

mrcpowell
Tue Nov 18, 2008, 12:57 AM
Hi all - i have a 6x2x2 and use a Eheim 2228 and a Eheim 2213 and a small internal filter 600lt/h plus i run 2 air stones but the water seems to have small particals floating around and is not as clear as i would like it to be. any suggestions or anything i need to buy??
Or what is the best way to set it up?
I want to keep 12 or so discus plus some Lcats.
all ideas welcomed???
Thank you. Colin

twobunnyrabbit
Thu Nov 20, 2008, 03:52 AM
Hi
Have a look at "Purigen" by Seachem. I'm planning to get some of this and try it in my tanks.

Gribbs01
Tue Dec 02, 2008, 10:55 PM
I have a Eheim 2227 and a 2213 on a 400liter tank and found the same problem with small particles when I set up the tank, first i used Purigen but the installation of a UV sterilizer was the trick for me. I run the sterilizer on the return from the 2213.

Radix
Wed Dec 03, 2008, 12:03 AM
I had a 500L tank with a Eheim 2228 and aqua one 1200 with a 36w pondmaster and still had small floaties, I then added a pro 3 2080, this helped to clear the small particles. I now have a 700L tank, (never go to a closing down sale at a LFS) and with all these filters on the 700L the small particles are really bad, I did change my substrate to pool filter sand and noticed that the particles never really settle on the sand.. I took home an AQUIS 2400 to test, but I was not keen on the quick tap arrangement and the overall quality of this filter, ( I can see why they break over time) and the included media was a joke.. it would be OK if you changed the media ,blocked off the gap around the top tray with wool ( to stop bypass), it was very very quiet, much quieter then the 2080 but you would need two minimum.. Looking through this forum and others, I think there is no cheap solution for large tanks, choices are two pro3 2080 or 2260, or one of each, with a small 2213/15/17 to run uv, as its mechanical filtration thats most needed and to get the volume of water turned over the 2260 for its simple design and mechanical filtering is probably the better..

Radix..

pink66
Wed Dec 03, 2008, 12:58 AM
I had the same problem with my 5x2x2 which has a trickle/sump filter. evil particles :twisted: I ended up adding a fluval 304 which worked a treat but found the discus cracked it at the water flow (sooks).

In the end I have now put a timer on it to run while they are tucked up and asleep.. So everyone wins, I get a clear tank, the plants are not covered in debris and the fishies are much happier..