PDA

View Full Version : Friend Experiencing Problems With Koi

swingn
Fri Nov 14, 2008, 04:02 AM
Hi All

I know I know, this is not discus related (Sorry), but I have a friend in need. I know some of you are more then just experts in Discus, so I've got my fingers crossed someone may be able to lend a hand.

A good friend of mine has a 4000L Koi pond is his back yard & over the last week they have fallen ill. This is one thing he has noticed:

"i did notice one has gone red on the top where his body meets the tail and another black one has gone white along the top near his head.i have no idea whats happening i just need to do what i was told and hope for the best."

He has visited his LFS & picked up amonia absorbing crystals & has also done 2 treatments with rock salt (Again, as advised by his LFS).

He told me he had been cleaning the filter out with tap water, which I have advised him against doing again. I have also passed on the advice I received from Xtreme in regards to not cleaning the filter out regularly as it can disturb the bacteria.

He has had the pond running for about a year & has had 32 fish (All from the same batch) & never had any problems, other then algae from the sudden temp change a few months ago.

So far he has lost 6... He's pretty upset to say the least.

Hope someone can help.

Cheers
Matt

ILLUSN
Fri Nov 14, 2008, 05:12 AM
Whats his ammonia? has he topped up with tap water recently?

swingn
Fri Nov 14, 2008, 06:44 AM
Unsure.

Suspect he has done a water change in the past week.

Will double check with him :D

Cheers
Matt

ILLUSN
Fri Nov 14, 2008, 06:56 AM
Red sores are usually a responce to stress from ammonia or chlorine, with improved water conditions these heal up quick enough, if it is a bacterial infection, again with better water it goes away on its own, its hard enough to beat these fish to death with a stick, so if he's loosing them at the rate of 6/week something is serious is up.

have him add a tripple dose of prime to the water 150ml should do his 4000L pond.

Fishontherun
Tue Nov 18, 2008, 09:47 AM
direct him to this site ww. koi phen .com . (omit the space)