PDA

View Full Version : I'm A Fish Daddy - Again!

Hassles
Thu Nov 13, 2008, 09:18 AM
yes, here is yet another posting to proclaim the spawning of my Apistogramma. Today I announce the emergence of the fry of A. cacatouides 'neon type' double reds. Ph was 6.8 and temp hovering around 25 degrees. These recently acquired fish have grown considerably in the couple of weeks that I have had them, especially the proud father. These cacatouides have a paler body and much more vividly coloured finnage to the cacatouides I have bred in the past. The fry have been observed consuming micro-worms so very much like the steindachneri and gibiceps fry I expect that they will grow quickly. I wasn't expecting the 3 spawns during this 10 day period so I am now suitably occupied. I have also noted the recent territorial bahaviour of my A. jurensis and the A. borelli (opal) are guarding eggs again, mother has consumed the previous two batches. hmm time for more tanks I think.

If anyone has an A. gibbiceps or A. steindachneri female in need of company, please contact me

regards
Glenn

TW
Thu Nov 13, 2008, 09:04 PM
Congratulations. Good luck with the fry

What does a "A. cacatouides 'neon type' double reds" look like. I have A. cacatouides double reds, but haven't seen the the type you have. Are you able to share a picture of the parents?

Hassles
Thu Nov 13, 2008, 09:18 PM
I have seen triple reds whose finnage were so iridescent that they looked artificial, unnatural and (in my opinion) bloody ugly. The double reds I have recently aquired have very bright, near iridescent finnage which I refer to as 'neon-type'. These fish produced a brood discovered yesterday in an 18 inch x 12 inch tank - essentially my quarantine tank. I guess its my own fault for placing a cave in there with them. Regardless, these fish are very different to those I have bred in the past.

I will try an harass a digital camera buddy to snap some images on my behalf.

TW
Thu Nov 13, 2008, 10:01 PM
thanks for the extra info. Look forward to seeing your snaps soon.

kristina
Tue Mar 31, 2009, 03:26 AM
honestly, hassles, its time to see some pics of these fish that I read so much about... I've been waiting for what seems to be forever. Perhaps when you get a camera, take pics of a variety of your tanks and make a new post... that way we can see all your apisto's. I get excited every time you say you have had another spawn... Then look at my tiny little fish and grumble "grow up and have babies already!"

Hassles
Tue Mar 31, 2009, 08:16 AM
Yeah yeah yeah the new digital is in the wings as they say. Possibly travelling abroad again this year so may invest in new (very much lighter) camera at that time. I am somewhat saddened that I cannot share all the wonder with those here.