PDA

View Full Version : Nasty Discus

jesx57
Thu Nov 13, 2008, 12:52 AM
Hi all,

I recently bought 4 discus and after settling them in for about a week, one is starting to be become real aggressive. It's the Blue Turk that I least expected to get nasty. Anyway, he's chasing the poor white leopard and I don't know what to do. I can't really add any more because it'll be overstocked (already is a bit). Any ideas?

rwel4809
Thu Nov 13, 2008, 03:06 AM
they'll probably settle down after a while, they do tend to get agro towards each other, especially a feeding time.

It's just the way of the discus I'm afraid.

They never really hurt each other, just keep an eye on the bullied fish and make sure its able to eat. It's a good idea to feed at either end of the tank so that everyone gets in on the food..

HTH

R

jesx57
Thu Nov 13, 2008, 11:16 PM
Yeah, you're right, the blue turk gets real snappy when I feed them. He calms down after about an hour, but still likes to chase the othert discus into all four sides of the aquarium. I notice that when he's about to chase them, the stripe over his eye disapears and his and body goes dark grey. I guess there's not much I can do, as you said.

Nitecongt
Mon Nov 17, 2008, 03:19 AM
I gave my snappy blue turk to my mum as a birthday gift.

problem solved :)

jesx57
Mon Nov 17, 2008, 07:54 AM
Unfortunately if I did that, the checkerboard will be the next to step up. I know that discus do this because they are cichlids, but now I wished I'd just bought one, and then he'd probably be a hermit :(.

Nitecongt
Wed Nov 19, 2008, 12:29 AM
you could try re arranging the tank and hope the pecking order changes.

Is there enough room for the four? i removed 2 (out of 4 in a 350L tank) and the nipping and snapping died off a fair bit.

I was a little over stocked... :( with a lg pleco,ghost knife and spiney eel and four discus