PDA

View Full Version : Brown Algae

chris
Thu Jan 13, 2005, 10:18 AM
At moment Ive got a case of brown algae its growing on the glass and all over one of my plants. What causes this and what can I do to keep it under control....

chris
Thu Jan 27, 2005, 10:50 AM
hello every body Ive decided to answer my own post.
Brown algae is a result of insuficient light,
A quick fix is to increase light for more hours, and clean plants and tank.

weird
Thu Jan 27, 2005, 11:16 AM
Bristlenose Catfish will gladly help you too. :wink: They did the trick for me.

Aurora
Thu Jan 27, 2005, 11:56 AM
I just brought 4 small bristlenose last friday for my 4ft. Then on tuesday I did a big clean and got rid of most of the algae, and installed my new UV. Now I will see over the next week or two how effect both of these new additions are at stopping all the algae returning :)

Kaza
Thu Jan 27, 2005, 12:52 PM
Ok I have the same problem in my four foot tank, it has 4 large bn and other assorted catfish. With a quite large UV (has been running for 6 months) and I have a huge problem with brown algae also hairy algae. The bn eat the discus left over food and the uv is only good if the algae is free floating in the water.

I take the plants out and clean I also have a castle which I clean and then wipe over with the algae rid (suppose to add it to the water ) but I dont feel happy to do that. I have a fake rock background which collects algae really bad. I dont know the answer, however I leave the light on for 12 hours a day sometimes more. I just love looking at them, so I think that is my problem.

skoom
Sun Jan 30, 2005, 04:12 PM
i hate that black hairy algae.....
i scrape and scrub the it keeps coming back.

scrub min weekly... so frustrating

pitchblack
Wed Feb 02, 2005, 06:00 AM
Ive had this problem, I cleaned out the tank, scrub scrub, and reduced the lighting to 6 hrs a day and also added a few bn.

problem solved :lol:

chris
Wed Feb 02, 2005, 06:25 AM
pitchblack wrote reduced the lighting to 6 hrs

Brown algae is symptom of low light in an Aquarium.
Hours of light should be increased :wink:
what sort of globes are you using :?: