PDA

View Full Version : New Discus Not Eating?

jesx57
Mon Nov 10, 2008, 12:30 AM
Hi all,

I purchased four discus on Friday (Malborough Red, Blue Turk, Checkerboard and White Leopard).

I had to take my two yoyo loaches back and trade them at the LFS for two peppered corydoras because they were harrassing the poor things.
I have tried frozen discus dinner, brine shrimp and blood worms. So far the Malborough Red is gobbling up anything I feed him and the checkerboard is also showing interest. The whitye leopard and blue turk however aren't interested at all.

I know that it can be hard to get them onto their food again so I'm asking what else I can feed them? I've already tried the food the breeder is fed them and they aren't interested. I know they are still settling in and removing the loaches has made a huge improvement, but is it usual for them not to be hungry?

pink66
Mon Nov 10, 2008, 02:05 AM
sometimes you can be lucky that when you shift discus they are naturally "piggies" and eat as if nothing has changed at all.. Though it is not unusual for them to not eat for upto a week whilst they settle in..

Just keep your eye on them to ensure they are not doing things like going unusually dark, clamping fins, etc.. are the two that are not eating being picked on???

You would not think that such big fishies could be such big sooks!!!!!!

jesx57
Mon Nov 10, 2008, 04:10 AM
One of the one's that are not eating is showing stress bars, but the checkboard has stress bars too, and he's eating. The white leopard also shows stress bars, but the fishes had stress bars on them when I was looking in the dealer's tank.

jesx57
Tue Nov 11, 2008, 11:48 PM
I've got the blue turk eating now, but the white leopard won't eat a bit. He pecks at algae on the plants but isn't at all interested in food. In fact, I haven't seen him do a poo yet. Should I treat for worms? I did notice that the blue turk was doing stringy white poos when I first got him. They are now brown.

zar
Wed Nov 12, 2008, 02:19 AM
It's more likely they have a hex infection. I'd treat with metronidazole. I doubt they have worms.
check out the stickys and search for previous posts for dosages on metro if you're unsure.

jesx57
Wed Nov 12, 2008, 03:49 AM
Thanks

jesx57
Wed Nov 12, 2008, 03:52 AM
Maybe I am just being paranoid. Do you know how long they'll survive if they don't eat?