PDA

View Full Version : Stunted growth question

ChiefZero
Sun Nov 09, 2008, 02:49 AM
I was just curious, I know that discus can become stunted but do the fish grow out of being stunted or does the fish grow but appears stunted still?

Merrilyn
Sun Nov 09, 2008, 09:11 AM
That's a great question, but not an easy one to answer.

It depends on how long they've been in the poor conditions that caused the stunting in the first place, and how good the conditions are that they are moved into.

For instance if you were to add a stunted juvenile fish (under 2 inches) to a planted tank full of mature fish, it will remain stunted and have a much shorter life expectancy.

Put that same fish into a bare bottom tank, with frequent feeding and frequent water changes, with tankmates of approximately the same size, and it will blossom and grow to it's full potential. It may not end up as large as a fish which was always kept in optimum conditions, but it will certainly grow into an attractive fish.

moneymike
Wed Nov 26, 2008, 12:15 AM
Another question: With the same situation, will a fish be able to lose any of it's peppering?

nicholas76
Sat Nov 29, 2008, 06:48 AM
Another question: With the same situation, will a fish be able to lose any of it's peppering?

try the search its been answered in depth.

IN short NO but in some instances there are things you can do to try to reduce or make it less obvious.

lpiasente
Sat Nov 29, 2008, 09:25 PM
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13867&highlight=peppering

I found this one.