PDA

View Full Version : please help-discus sick

calvus1
Fri Nov 07, 2008, 03:49 AM
Hi all,i have about 15 discus quite small in a 4 foot tank,most of them seem to be happy and eating well.i noyiced what looks to be a fungal infection on one that was getting picked on a bit and separated him from the rest now i have 3 melon discus on there side and floating around with the current of the tank,just about dead.did a water change and noticed these small 1mm to 2mm white wrigglers under some drift wood what could this be and how to treat it please.

waitaki
Sat Nov 08, 2008, 10:53 AM
how much of a water change did you do? what are your current water parameters? Nitrite nitrate and ammonia and ph?
15 discus sounds like a lot of discus in a 4' tank.
What water changes have you been doing prior to having this problem. Do you lift the tank decors up when you do a gravel vac? If you don't the white wrigglers are probably having a ball feeding off trapped food. What filtration have you got.
Have you got a hospital tank you can put the melons in? if not just make sure you do daily 50% waters changes, turn the temp up to 30 and add some aquarium or rock salt (not kitchen salt - but you probably know that)
having a single discus on his own is'nt going to be good for the discus they are schooling fish and should be keep in numbers of at least 5.

Hollowman
Sat Nov 08, 2008, 11:07 AM
Please answer all questions above, and supply photos if you can. Also, what and how much are you feeding ? and what filters have you got running?

H

calvus1
Sun Nov 09, 2008, 08:17 AM
im running a sacem 1000 on the 4 foot tank,with no substrate on the bottom just 2 pieces of planted driftwood,i take any debre out daily, and do 25-30% water changes every 3 days.i feed them spectrum for discus,bloodworms and brine shrimp.i lost 1 discus last night and have a fotu and a red melon that dont eat and just stare at the bottom of the tank!!they are now in a hospital tank and ive ut some methlyne blue in there and it has already cleared the fish with fungus but the other 2 still not eatng and same symptoms.i appreciate you guys gettting back to me as this has been my first post onthis site.thanks

Merrilyn
Sun Nov 09, 2008, 10:09 AM
Welcome to the forum calvus1.

Sorry to hear you're having problems. I gather these are quite small fish, under 2 inches, is that right ?

Can you provide your water parameters, like pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and most importantly, how long has the tank been running?