PDA

View Full Version : green water

wyldchyld01
Wed Jan 12, 2005, 02:04 AM
hey all,

had someone looking after the fish-house while i was on hols for a couple of weeks and i've come back to one tank that has really green water in it.

i'm assuming this has to do with filtration so i've changed it and over the last 3 days changed 100% (maybe a little more) water. Problem is i still have green water?????

i've heard of using hydrogen pyroxide (sorry about spelling) and putting one or two drops in which should condense the "green" in the water to sit on the bottom. Siphon out and water change.

It's a 210 Ltr tank, sponge filter, air driven, temp is 30.4C and Ph 6.6, One pair of red turqs.

Any help or suggestions, comments on pyroxide would be appreciated before i try this. Even if someone can clear up where the green water would have come from. I'm not sure but i also think there's some blue/green algae forming on the sides which i am about to scrub down.

If you ever go on hols, ask someone nicely to really really look after your fish, the tank looks shocking but the fish are alive and doing well, eating etc so i guess i still have lots to thank them for LOL

Cheers

Brenton

chris
Mon Jan 17, 2005, 10:02 AM
I once had a tank that went Green with algae,
Lots of water changes maybe 10% a day for a while might be good,
Not sure on what chemicals to use, I use Geo liquid in my tanks, keeps clear as.
Maybe upgrage your Filter youve got a fair amount of water there.

wyldchyld01
Tue Jan 18, 2005, 12:08 AM
thanks chris,

yeah i found out a little more about green water and it's mainly caused by the breakdown of protein in the water, in other words lots of food etc rotting. mayhap this is my fault for not mentioning to siphon the tank a little while after feeding them.

still doing 30 to 40% changes and i'm not ready to use the pyroxide yet, i'll just see how the changes go.

fish are still fine, a little stressed but going strong

Brenton

Trebs
Tue Jan 18, 2005, 06:19 AM
Shouldn't need to do anything to fix the problem other than w/c's. As Chris said, 10% daily should be enough to solve the problem. I wouldn't risk using any chemicals as there isn't really a compelling reason to do so.

kalebjarrod
Tue Jan 18, 2005, 08:48 AM
also cut out your light, no light = no photosynthsis

no photosynthsis = no gulcose

no gulcose = no growth

no growth = happy discus keeper :wink:

bob
Mon Jan 24, 2005, 02:01 AM
i had green water problem once bought u v light water has been claer since
bob

wyldchyld01
Mon Jan 24, 2005, 03:47 AM
appreciate the reply's, after bulk changing the water and having no success i ended up just moving the pair to the qt tank and stripped their home tank

everything is back to normal,

karlebjarrod - such a simple solution and i didn't even think of it thanks, bob - still saving the dollars to get one but the uv is def top of the list, so much has been posted as positives for them even for disease control

cheers all

dreamer
Mon Jan 24, 2005, 04:08 AM
with my tanks, no lights = no algae
im a happy discus keeper :)